Extraction and bone piece?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

noppi

Extraction and bone piece?

#1 Post by noppi »

Eww! So I got extractions on the 13th. Dentist said it was successful. The only possible complication was one of my top teeth cuz he said the root was curved. But that came out nicely. No roots broke or anything.

Fast forward to this past Saturday. I started getting achy in my gum. I felt it with my finger and it felt weird. Like something was lodged in the side of my gum on the bottom left extraction. Eeek...I tried to look in mirror but I didn't see anything. But when I felt with finger it felt firm. Today the gum looks more swollen and I can still feel that thingie.

I think it might be a little piece of bone. Dentist said at appt that it's possible some pieces of bone might be stuck and it'll just move it's way out - like a sliver in your finger. OUCH! So I'm achy. And I feel like it's making me dizzy and stuff. I called dentist today but I didn't schedule an appt. I'm going to wait and see how I feel tomorrow. :cry:
11/11/05~8 Spacers
11/21/05~Spacers off, 8 metal bands
01/13/06~Braces
04/13/06~4 extract
04/18/06~1st adjust after extract

SoCalBoi83

#2 Post by SoCalBoi83 »

When I had my wisdom teeth removed, there was this pea sized piece of bone wedged in my gums. I felt it right away. The next day with gauze in hand I pulled it out. It hurt like crazy but minutes later my jaw felt so much better that it was out. And the bleeding stopped. The piece of bone was making my gums bleed more. Get your dentist to get that thing out ASAP if you can't stop bleeding.
Kevin

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

I had a piece of bone stuck in my gum for a long time. It finally came out on its own a few weeks ago. I just realized one day that my gum was smooth again...so I never even felt the piece coming out or anything.

Those pieces can be there for a long time (mine was in for more than a year!). So if it's annoying you, give your dentist a call and ask if he can remove it.

Good luck :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

noppi

!!!

#4 Post by noppi »

Oh my gosh it can stay there for a long time? I feel like it's getting closer to the edge. And I did wonder if it would start bleeding. It seems like it would. But it's not bleeding right now cuz it's not in the extraction site. It's on the side of the gum. Hmmm....anyone experience this? I hope it'll just come out on its own except I don't want it to bug me in the meantime. Maybe I could ask dentist to remove it but then he'd have to cut my gum! He'd probably say just leave it and it will come out
11/11/05~8 Spacers
11/21/05~Spacers off, 8 metal bands
01/13/06~Braces
04/13/06~4 extract
04/18/06~1st adjust after extract