May 2nd!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Brooke

May 2nd!

#1 Post by Brooke »

I just found out at yesterdays adjustment that I get them off May 2nd! I feel mixed emotioned about it. I am happy they're coming off, but in a way im attached to them now :? Weird huh? Just wondering if there's any advice? The ortho said that I'll be getting a hawley retainer. I honestly have no clue what that is. Also, the ortho said that it takes a week for the retainer to come. That worries me, because thats a week without anything retaining my teeth :( Is this a typical wait time for a retainer?
*Usually the longer roads lead to more rewarding endings*

Braced~ 10/11/04
Braces come off May 2, 2006!!!!! :)
Hawley Retainer full time!

momof2grlz

#2 Post by momof2grlz »

Congratulations, Brooke! That's great news. You are so lucky.

A hawley retainer is the retainer that fits in the roof of your mouth with the wire across your teeth. I'm sure if you check the Archwired site, Lynn has pictures of the hawley and essix retainers posted. I'm sure you'll be OK until your retainer comes in, but talk to your ortho about your concern. Maybe he could make you an essix retainer to wear until your hawley is ready?

Let's see pictures when you're finished!

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

kirst1583

Re: May 2nd!

#3 Post by kirst1583 »

Hi Brooke. Congrats on the debanding date, that's fantastic news!!!

:-)o

Also, the ortho said that it takes a week for the retainer to come. That worries me, because thats a week without anything retaining my teeth :( Is this a typical wait time for a retainer?
My date is set for the 15th of May and yeah, I go back a week later to get my retainer. I've heard many people say the same, so the weeks wait mustn't do any harm. They can also do little bits of movement with the Hawleys too if you need it apparently.

Good luck and let us know how it all goes! :wink:

jay

#4 Post by jay »

Congrats brooke

We can get debanded together then because i become free on the 2nd aswell.

Allthough i had my moulds done for retainers last week and will get my hawleys on the 2nd when they come off.

CLAmom

#5 Post by CLAmom »

I can't wait to be posting these words myself! Congratulations on getting them off. I've seen several posts here from people who have had to wait a week for their Hawley. Sounds normal to me. :-)o

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

Flora2006

#6 Post by Flora2006 »

Congratulations on getting your braces off. That is such wonderful news!

Don't worry about the retainer, I've read about tons of people having to wait a week...so its not that big of a deal ;)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Brooke

#7 Post by Brooke »

Thanks for all the support. I will be posting pics. I know that I'll be eager to take a pic for the first time with straight teeth! Hopefully the ortho will let me keep the old pics they took before i was braced. Thanks again :D
*Usually the longer roads lead to more rewarding endings*

Braced~ 10/11/04
Braces come off May 2, 2006!!!!! :)
Hawley Retainer full time!

Evelyn

#8 Post by Evelyn »

Congrats Brooke! May 2nd is gonna be a great day for you-and soak it up, you deserve it!

Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

downhillsnowskier

#9 Post by downhillsnowskier »

Brooke,

Congratulations on getting your braces off. I wear Hawleys 24/7 and they take some getting used to, but once you do its a good retainer to have. Good luck!

MATEO'S

#10 Post by MATEO'S »

Wow great news.. just remember to wear your retainer my friend spend 7,500 dollars on braces got them off and did'nt wear her's and the gap that close open again.. :( ..great news best of luck mateo's :-1

cat t

May 2

#11 Post by cat t »

It is absolutely wonderful to be without! It has been 1 week and 2 days for me. Yes, it does take a week to make the Hawleys. My ortho said my teeth would move a little, but not enough to worry about in that week. Well, he said they really moved and had to make several adjustments to the retainer (apologizing -- no, thanks, doc, any doc who takes time to make things right is looking out for me!) and taking off the retainer (wear them 24/7) my teeth hurt. I assume this will last a bit more as the teeth adjust. I return for a check up in 10 weeks. My speech is funny, but I understand it gets better. Sure hope so! I have had to explain to my students (elementary) why I talk funny. Not easy teaching English phonemes with a retainer! But it is worth it! The little bit of wire compared to the brackets are great; they are taken out to eat and it is easier to clean than the brackets after eating, not to mention eating with colleagues and attempting to THIS IS SPAM REPORT TO ADMIN THIS IS SPAM REPORT TO ADMIN THIS IS SPAM REPORT TO ADMIN THIS IS SPAM REPORT TO ADMIN and have food stuck in one's braces! Good luck! :D

cookie

#12 Post by cookie »

Fantastic news for you :thumbsup:
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

Charles08b

#13 Post by Charles08b »

Hey! Me three!!! I will also be gettiing my braces off May 2nd! Sounds like a day with good vibes...

And my ortho also said I would be getting a Hawley retainer a week after braces removal. When I asked him if that was really okay, he smiled and said, yes, it's fine, that's how it usually works!

I wonder if orthos have a rough time getting used to their adult patients asking all kinds of questions! :lol:
Char