Update

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

twinklehunkydory

Update

#1 Post by twinklehunkydory »

A wee while ago I posted a topic that turned into a fairly lengthy thread on Damons - the real deal.

I've since been to my ordinary dentist and broached the subject of braces with him. He was reluctant to give his opinion on the subject because he says he simply doesn't know enough about it. He's pretty sure I'll still need 2 teeth out, and that the idea of wideneing the palate while pushing the teeth back doesn't hold with him at all, because he said for an overbite like mine it wouldn't work (although I believe I've seen worse, most people don't actually notice mine).

However, he said again that he doesn't know enough for sure. I'm now on an NHS referral waiting list, probably 4 months to go. I trust my dentist, but I think I'd rather go for a private consult rather than wait for the local ortho at the nearest NHS hospital to probably not even acknowledge newer braces don't exist.

In addition, my dentist said that a little knowledge means a lot of danger, and while sites like this were useful for patient experience, that often times most patients don't even know what's happening in their mouths and that it's not an accurate guide for personal treatment. Thing is, I'd never extrapolate my own treatment plan just based on random comments and posts. Give me some credit, lol.

So, should I wait for 4 months, or try somewhere new? I'm tempted to go somewhere else for a different opinion.
dare to reach for your dreams, and dare to live those dreams

twinklehunkydory

Re: Update

#2 Post by twinklehunkydory »

Correction...
twinklehunkydory wrote:probably not even acknowledge newer braces exist.

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

4 months of waiting...I would go crazy!! lol. I'm not very patient.

If you think about getting an opinion from the private...go for it! Do what you think is best :)

I don't know how the NHS works...so I can't really give any real advise but yeah...go private for a consult if you want to. It never hurts.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

twinklehunkydory

#4 Post by twinklehunkydory »

Thank you.

I think I just needed someone to support my own thoughts.

I think I will book in for a couple of private consults. Yes it will cost me money, but I'd rather have a range of opinions to compare, rather than feel there is only the one route presented to me by one person.

And yeh, my dentist is really pragmatic! I gave him a link to some funny videos when I was there the other day, he can sometimes be too serious (actually he's just professional, but having a laugh makes me less scared), so I thought he needed to lighten up. lol, i wonder what he'll make of them! hehe :D