Ortho slowing my progress cause of my debt? can this be true

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TheSilverSmileChileno

Ortho slowing my progress cause of my debt? can this be true

#1 Post by TheSilverSmileChileno »

Hi
Ive been braced for over 9 months

and I've noticed my ortho is slowing my progress, she just took out my powerchains but my bottom teeth have not closed the gap yet, in my upper teeth i still have huge gaps and only a little power chain there.

im very pleasant with my progress, im already using elastics, my teeth respond very well to the treatment

she gave me a box with more elastics and I've been putting those elastics without her knowledge to close my gaps faster, they been working incredible good,
in the bottom i have no gaps at all and in the tops they are closing very fast. HAVE YOU DONE THIS? THE PROGRESS IS AWESOME, GIVE ME UR OPPINION

Do orthos slow your treatment so you have the time to pay all that you owe, I owe close to $2800

I think so.
Spacers-7-27-05
Full Braces on-8-15-05
I luv my braces...

Silverware

#2 Post by Silverware »

Why would your ortho prolong your treatment? You owe them the money regardless of how long it takes, so it would be in their best interest to have you finish earlier so they have make room for new patients in the appointment roster.

alexa

#3 Post by alexa »

Wow. Do not close the gaps yourself. Taking your treatment into your own hands without some kind of orthodontic knowledge is dangerous.

Your ortho may not be slowing your process at all, but instead may be concentrating on a different part of treatment currently. Sometimes gaps are the final thing worked on, and it's really hard to tell what your ortho's plan is without talking to him or her.

Please don't act without knowledge, set up a meeting to discuss the matter with your ortho so that you don't wind up causing yourself harm. Remember, you're effecting more than just asthetics when you move teeth.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

ingyandbert

#4 Post by ingyandbert »

Why would the ortho want to invest even more time on someone who hasn't finished paying? That's counterproductive. If you fail to make payments all the ortho has to do is send your account to a collection agency. It's not in his/her interest to delay treatment and I really doubt most would do anything that unprofessional anyway.

Brooke

#5 Post by Brooke »

I agree with the others. If you take your treatment into your own hands that could actually work against you. There may be a reason that your ortho isn't closing the gaps. I would step back and let the ortho do what he/she thinks is best. If you have concerns, talk the to the doc, but dont do something if not advised.
*Usually the longer roads lead to more rewarding endings*

Braced~ 10/11/04
Braces come off May 2, 2006!!!!! :)
Hawley Retainer full time!

Flora2006

#6 Post by Flora2006 »

I agree with everyone else.

Do not use your elastics or anything else on your own without your ortho's consent. You could damage the roots, gums, teeth, etc!

I also don't believe your ortho is slowing down your treatment because of money...that is just ridiculous. The fact that she stoped putting powerchains and all doesn't mean anything. Your ortho knows what she is doing.

If you are doubting her...have a talk with her.

Good luck

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

stclair5211

#7 Post by stclair5211 »

I agree with the others here. Most payment schedules are tied to how long treatment takes. Mine is $XXX/mo. for 18 months, the estimated time. If you signed a contract that is legally binding, she'll get her money or take you to court. :wink: Also, please don't try to speed things up. Not to worry you, but moving teeth too fast could affect the roots of the teeth and a lot of other things.

spragers

#8 Post by spragers »

I remember reading somewhere that there is a limit to the speed of teeth movement, and anything beyond that is actually doing more long-term harm than good. Teeth move slowly, after all, they're stuck in your jaw bone!

NotBob1

#9 Post by NotBob1 »

Don't do it. You could really screw things up.

Your Ortho knows teeth and their movement, likely she will know what you are doing.

It could end up costing you more money and time in metal.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.