First week in braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

WhyMe?

First week in braces

#1 Post by WhyMe? »

I've been lurking for a while and just thought I would chime in with my experience (limited...) and questions.

I just got braces on Monday (3 days ago), ceramic uppers and lowers. They skipped four teeth because they have to get pulled next week. Does the wire make it more difficult to extract a tooth? A couple years ago, I had four wisdom teeth pulled at the same time and it was a horrible experience. I have a new dentist now, but still have apprehension about the procedure.

So I didn't use wax for the first two days...thought I'd let my mouth toughen up. Bad idea. Now my mouth is swollen and painful. I could deal with it if I did not have to talk in a meeting tonight and for my job.

Will I ever be able to eat solid food again? Will I ever be able to close my mouth again? My lips get stuck on the braces. It's been 3 days and I can only eat soup, pudding, Boost, yogurt, and graham crackers (dissolve in my mouth). I am small, but have lost 5 pounds (20% of my body weight). I can't even gum pasta with those spacers they put in. I feel lightheaded from the lack of food. Even if I can eat solid food by next week, I'll have those teeth pulled Thursday and be in the same boat. Nobody ever said that braces could be so frustrating. I try to keep my eye on the prize, but seriously cannot even imagine myself with straight teeth (with almost 30 years of crooked teeth). Then I think I might look silly with straight teeth because maybe they will look too big or something will happen during treatment.

Okay...enough of the anxiety...sorry for making my first post so negative...this is just such a HUGE adjustment, much bigger than I ever expected. I really thought I'd go into the office, get braces put on, then go on with live as usual....ain't happening!

:crazy:

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

Wow! You only weighed 25 lbs when you started? Impressive! Just kidding. I shouldn't do that to you since you are so bummed out about your braces.

Trust me.. I went through all the same stuff. It WILL get better. You have to get through the first part and it is the worst. Very soon all your current ailments will be relieved one by one and you will think braces are a normal part of your existence. (What you thought would happen the first day).

Did you read any of the first day in braces stories on the archwired web site? Sometimes the first day is not even as bad as the 2nd and 3rd day in my opinion. Then once in awhile you will have small setbacks. For instance my first or second day the mouth sores did not really kick in. Then all of a sudden I was waxing up a storm. This went on for quite some time and then I slowly realized I didn't really need the wax any more.

Hang in there! It will get better and better!!!

Oh, sorry, I didn't have any extraction except my wisdom teeth about 30 years ago so can't help you there. Yeah, the wisdom teeth were certainly no picnic.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

missingu

#3 Post by missingu »

IMHO, go to an oral surgeon for the extractions. They are specially trained in surgical procedures in the mouth (thus oral surgeon) whereas general dentists are not.

Most people when their wisdom teeth are extracted are looking at pretty complicated procedures because generally wisdom teeth have not yet erupted. While I can only speak for myself, the difference between having 2 erupted teeth pulled and 2 impacted wisdoms was literally night and day. I didn't need to take any pain meds for the already-erupted teeth, and life went on pretty normally. I realize I don't know your situation, but if the teeth are erupted, the whole process might go smoother.

Also, do you have to get all 4 done at once. I had my wisdoms done under local, two at a time because I didn't want to "stress" my body with the recovery of 4 at once. Went very well even though that was not standard operating procedure for the dentist's office. It you are just at the outset of your journey, and you decide to go the 2-at-a-time route, talk to the ortho and the oral surgeon/dentist that you would prefer to slow the process to make recovery smoother, and the week or two difference in time between the extractions will be incidental down the road.

Please make a concerted effort to keep yourself nourished because that will wear down your mind and body. What about a milkshake, mashed potatoes (really smooth), scramled eggs; as time goes on and you practice chewing you will most likely slowly begin to get used to the feeling in your mouth.

For me, what has been helpful is to really engage in an activity where talk is not necessary, but my mind is busy. What about writing a short story about a woman who gets braces and how it changes (or doesn't change) her life. Any craft work that you like - express your frustrations with crayon all over a sketch pad, go to the gym (if that is your thing) and lift weights so your whole body is miserable and not just your teeth! The secret for me has been distraction so my body does what it needs to do and I am busy on my own.

Also, keep your mouth hydrated with sugar free mints or something like that because a dry mouth is easier to get torn up.

Keep posting.

WhyMe?

#4 Post by WhyMe? »

Thank you guys for your support. I guess there is just too much going on in my life right now to take a break and it has really gotten to me :) LOL about the math. I haven't really been sleeping well with all of this stuff in my mouth and guess my brain just isn't working properly. I lost 5lb in 3 days, which is FIVE percent of my body weight LOL. :lol:

The good thing about this experience is that I am getting good at making soup since I don't like the canned stuff. Tomato and Bleu cheese tonight (pureed, of course).

I did read all of the first day in braces stories, but it still seemed like some people were fine, I have a pretty high pain tolerance so I just assumed I'd be fine, not thinking about how much stuff is really going into my mouth. I discovered the mint flavored wax today which sure beats the plain kind. Also got some good mouthwash since flossing is near impossible at this early stage (teeth are pushed together by the spacers).

Funny story: This morning my four year old begs me to read her a story. So I oblige and tell her to pick one out. She picks "Oh Say Can You Say?" by Dr. Seuss. If your not familiar with it, it is a book of tongue twisters LOL!

Thanks for all your kind words!!

ssfw

#5 Post by ssfw »

Hi WhyMe?,

Congratulations on getting your braces.

I did the same thing as you when I got my expander - I didn't use wax and was hoping my tongue would toughen up - bad idea. Use the wax and use the remedy regarding the warm saltwater rinses that KK gave to you in her post. The saltwater rinses really work and will make your mouth feel alot better.

Keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08