bracket won't stick to crown

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jas_2008

bracket won't stick to crown

#1 Post by jas_2008 »

Hi everyone.... I have braces on for almost one month now, traditional metal. the problem is, I've had root canal on one of my front upper teeth, so the "tooth" is actually a porcelain crown. the metal bracket does not seem to be able to stick to the crown! it fell off twice during the past month, my ortho said he would have to put a metal band around the tooth, kinda like the molar band, then glue the bracket to the band... imagine a metal band on my upper front tooth!

I'm wondering if anyone had similar experience with bracket on a crown? any alternative to the metal band?

thanks for your opinion!

lionfish

Re: bracket won't stick to crown

#2 Post by lionfish »

jas_2008 wrote:Hi everyone.... I have braces on for almost one month now, traditional metal. the problem is, I've had root canal on one of my front upper teeth, so the "tooth" is actually a porcelain crown. the metal bracket does not seem to be able to stick to the crown! it fell off twice during the past month, my ortho said he would have to put a metal band around the tooth, kinda like the molar band, then glue the bracket to the band... imagine a metal band on my upper front tooth!

I'm wondering if anyone had similar experience with bracket on a crown? any alternative to the metal band?

thanks for your opinion!
Hi Jas_2008,

Crowns can be a bit temperamental.

I have one porcelain crowned tooth (a second molar). The bracket glued to that tooth came unstuck 3 days after being attached. My ortho tried a different glue and it has behaved itself ever since.

jas_2008

#3 Post by jas_2008 »

thanks lionfish... I'll ask my ortho again if he could try a different glue. he didn't seem like the idea yesterday when I asked :evil:

H Rogers

#4 Post by H Rogers »

I had problems with the bracket sticking to my porcelian crown and my Ortho tried three different glues with the same results so instead he just put a band around the crown. :)

jas_2008

#5 Post by jas_2008 »

Hi H Rogers -

the problem is my crown is a front tooth, I'm worried that I'd end up looking like having a "silver tooth" with the metal band around it.... I went in today and my ortho tried a different glue. it's a glue for porcelain but requires to "rough up" the surface, which damages the crown. so he did without the roughing-up. don't know how long this is going to hold... I'm praying :)

thanks for your reply.

invisagirl

#6 Post by invisagirl »

My front tooth on the bottom is a crown and although my ortho tried the special crown glue the bracket still fell off. They put a partial metal band on it (doesn't cover the whole back of the tooth) and although its definetly bigger than the other brackets as long as they put a lig on it I doubt people notice. At first they didn't put a lig on it and I went to my car, saw it, and marched back in there and asked for them to please put a lig on it. The assistant said she didn't place a lig on it to help the glue dry but was more than willing to fufill my request.

I'll try to take a picture this weekend and post it so you can see what it would look like.

2.6 years (30 months) with Invisalign plus 19 months 2 weeks with metal braces to achieve the perfect smile.

mackenzie

#7 Post by mackenzie »

I had a porcelain crown on my front tooth but since I was planning on getting it replaced after the braces come off anyway, my dentist made a temporary crown out of "composite bonding material" for only $200, because brackets stick to this material better than porcelain. If your situation is similar maybe you could ask your dentist about this?

H Rogers

#8 Post by H Rogers »

My Ortho had used the special porcelain glue and did rough up the side of the crown but the bracket still fell off. Best of luck to you hopefully the glue will stick in your case. 8)

jas_2008

#9 Post by jas_2008 »

I'm not sure if I'd replace the crown right after my braces are off, that's why I was hesitant about even roughing up the surface... the bracket is still holding on so far, I hope it can stick at least till my next ajustment!

Hi invisagirl - I'd really appreciate a picture, if you don't mind. mine is a front uppper tooth. my ortho said something like "you probably can't smile big with the band", which scared me... I'm wondering if they can cut the band smaller or do something to make it less obvious :cry: