A theory why some ligs behave badly!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

missingu

#1 Post by missingu »

I don't know the term "stalk" but are you saying the orthos re-use ligs, or sterilize them if the package they came in has already been opened but the actual lig has not been used.

It's one thing to sterilize the ligs if a package has been opened, but I'm not particularly keen on re-using ligs.

jaswi

#2 Post by jaswi »

okay, no expert here, but I think the stalk they are referring to is how ligs come all attached together(from how they are made) on a little stalk, kind of like grapes. And they are talking about them steralizing the unused ones still on the stalk before using them.

Idislikebraces

#3 Post by Idislikebraces »

Wtf? I believe what is trying to be said is wat the person above me said about sterilizing the UNUSED ONES! lol They would not reuse the ones that were already on someones teeth! They stretch...nd thats just nasty! :shock:
August 10, 2005
Ceramic Uppers and Metal Bottoms!
A few months later a Nance Appliance.
anddd nowwww:
De bonding on October 23, 2007!

missingu

#4 Post by missingu »

Like orthos don't reuse brackets...get real, they do.

See the following web page:

www.orthocycle.com/ortho-reuse/ortho-reuse.htm

or just google "reuse orthodontic brackets" and see entry after entry indicating that this is a common practice.

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

That is just ridiculous:

http://jorthod.maneyjournals.org/cgi/co ... l/26/2/135

This article says the brackets cost about $5.00 each. That's $140.00 for a full set of teeth if you even have that many. I can't believe that an ortho would be so cheap as to not want to pay $140.00 for a new set of brackets.

BTW, the article talks about the amount of possible distortion in a used bracket.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

missingu

#6 Post by missingu »

For the record, rubber recycling is very common. I was reading about a company in The Netherlands which has been doing it for 5 years and is very environmentally friendly.

Certainly an elastic could not be used intact after it had been in someone's mouth, but there is no reason it could not be melted down and reformed into another rubber band. We recycle tires and other rubber products, after they are melted and reformatted, so why not elastics?

And I disagree that to not reuse a bracket would be irresponsible. If the ortho wants to use reusables, I think the patient should be advised and given the option to pay more for "fresh" brackets that "used."

It wasn't that long ago that doctor's offices reused needles from vaccinations....

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

missingu wrote:
It wasn't that long ago that doctor's offices reused needles from vaccinations....
I can remember this because I used to watch my father (who was a doctor) drop used needles into a stainless steel drum kit in which he would boil them up for reuse. This was in the days before disposables so there was no alternative.