how many times a day do you change your elastics????

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MATEO'S

how many times a day do you change your elastics????

#1 Post by MATEO'S »

hi all, last tuesday i got elastics and i was just wondering how many times a day do you change them..thanks for your input mateo's :?:

BraceFace12

#2 Post by BraceFace12 »

I change mine 4 times a day.
Top Braces-8-12-04
Oral Surgery-6-3-05
Bottom Braces-11-15-05
Braces Off-8-22-06!

No smile is as beautiful as the one that struggles through the tears.

Marzipan

#3 Post by Marzipan »

I take them off to eat. Once I'm done eating, I brush/clean my teeth. Then I put on a new set.

So I guess that means at least 3 times/day.

alexa

#4 Post by alexa »

At least two times, usually more.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

DizzyKitty

#5 Post by DizzyKitty »

I change mine 4-5 times per day...depending how many times I eat then brush but 4 minimum.
- Dizzy

cat t

changing elastics

#6 Post by cat t »

I wore elastics twice with my braces (Off for almost 2 weeks.) and was told to change them once a day. What did the ortho say?

MATEO'S

#7 Post by MATEO'S »

i change mine 4 times a day when i get up in the am, around 12noon, and then again at 6pm and before going to bed. i sometimes take them off to eat too.. i don't know if your supposed to??? :shock: matoe's

cat t

elastics

#8 Post by cat t »

I sometimes ate with them and they ended up being masticated with the food! Yuck! I always took them off, well, almost always!

littleshaddies

#9 Post by littleshaddies »

The first 6 weeks of me getting them I changed them 3 times a day. Then I got so fed up with wearing them during the day, you know when you talk and they rub, that I now compromise. I don't wear them in the day but I wear 4 instead of 2 during the night (double power) and it feels really weird in the morning. My bite is still changing so it is working. Even if this does slow down the treatment I don't really mind as I get my freedom from them things when i talk, eat, smile...during the day.
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

cookie

#10 Post by cookie »

I reckon I change mine about 4 times a day - fresh pair in after breakfast, lunch, dinner, then before bed.
Ceramic top braces 14 Dec 2004, Ceramic top braces OFF 2 Jun 2006
Metal bottom braces 26 Apr 2005

jaws

#11 Post by jaws »

My ortho just told me to change them at night before bed...so during the day when I eat I take them out and then put the same ones back in. Maybe changing them more often would make things go faster! :wink:
Braces are Now Off!
Metal Braces Top and Bottom
Expanders Top and Bottom
April 11th 2005-June 27th 2006

jennielee81

#12 Post by jennielee81 »

I change them 4 or 5 times a day.

My ortho said to change them any time they don't feel tight. I had a friend tell me the same thing.

After they're in your mouth under stress for a few hours they start to loose their strength so changing them often will keep the strength at it's most effective.

Does that make sense??

Jenn
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Chris

#13 Post by Chris »

I don't wear them in the day but I wear 4 instead of 2 during the night (double power) and it feels really weird in the morning. My bite is still changing so it is working. Even if this does slow down the treatment I don't really mind as I get my freedom from them things when i talk, eat, smile...during the day.
Doubling up is not a good idea unless you got your ortho's approval.
"double power" could cause trauma to any tooth. Please check with your ortho.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

MATEO'S

#14 Post by MATEO'S »

see at first i thought i was changing them to much , and sometimes depending what im eating i'll leave them in but for the most part i take them out to eat... then change them afterwards, thanks for all your input :idea: mateo's :wink:

Melancholyrose

hmmm

#15 Post by Melancholyrose »

By elastics, do you mean something other than the tiny rubber bands around each bracket? Because if that's what you mean, I've never changed mine :shock: .

The ortho girl puts the elastics on with a strange tool, and there is one around each bracket in my mouth. No one has ever mentioned changing them. I've only had braces a short while, so forgive my ignorance please! :wink: