What does a reverse curve wire do?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Betty Bat

What does a reverse curve wire do?

#1 Post by Betty Bat »

I searched the Forum for stuff on reverse curve wires, but I couldn't figure out what they are supposed to do.

As you might guess, I just got a RC wire at my adjustment yesterday. The ortho said something about my lower jaw being narrow, but that's all I remember. I'm not good at asking him things. Most of the time I understand what's going on.

And, he said the dreaded "E" word. He thinks I might get elastics next time - depending on what the new wire does or doesn't do.

P.S. I'm very happy to say that I did not have ANY trouble with my Damons this time. They opened, they closed and the wire went in just fine.

S_Ranger

#2 Post by S_Ranger »

The doc did it to me. He explained it used to open up the bite.

Betty Bat

#3 Post by Betty Bat »

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure what "opening the bite" meant, but now I'll have to go take a better look at my side view!