PLEASE ANSWER!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pedouard

PLEASE ANSWER!!!

#1 Post by pedouard »

Hey everyone!!

I have a really important question! (well important to me) I searched this site for days so I hope this isn't repetitive. Anyway, I am getting the damon 3's tomorrow and I have read so many people say they stick out a lot further than the traditional braces. I am really worried that I won't be able to close my mouth, or my lips will stick out way too much. By the way I don't have a huge overbite, I do have a bad bite but have no problems closing my mouth. Please, if you have damons let me know how it is for you!!! Thank You Everyone![/b]
having braces is a huge step, feel proud of yourself that you took this step to better your self!!!!!

missingu

#2 Post by missingu »

I had Damon 3's and had no problems with closing lips, lips sticking out, or anything like that.

The Damon's may "stick out" more but the difference is absolutely tiny, very tiny, relative to "conventional" braces. I had never heard they were supposed to stick out more, so I wasn't even aware that those issues could have been a problem, and I had no problems whatsoever. The benefit is the bracket per se is smaller, so it is less obtrusive (if that is important to you).

No matter what kind of braces you get, Damon or conventional, for the first few weeks you may "feel" like they are making your lips stick out, which is expected given the new "hardware" on your mouth. Try not to focus on it, because the relative differential of the "sticking out" factor of Damons is truly no more noticeable or problemmatic than with any other type of bracket.

Good luck getting braced and keep us posted. The more you focus on the issue, the more it will become an issue.

jcdamon3

#3 Post by jcdamon3 »

I have them and I didn't have any problems. I don't know how much more they stick out than regular brackets. It may just be that they stick out more RELATIVE to their size. Or if they do stick out more it is maybe 1 mm which is nothing to worry about. I think you will like the damon3's. I have had mine on for almost 9 months and I am happy with them. I am glad I don't have to worry about ligs.

Great luck to you!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

JoeMama

#4 Post by JoeMama »

I have Damon3s too. No technical problems for me what-so-ever and my progress has been really good. I have never had any other type of bracket so I can't really compare. My top Damons do feel like they stick out quite a bit, but I'm not sure that other braces would feel any different. The bottom Damons seem really small. My front teeth stick out (or they did - they're not sticking out so far these days YEA! :D ), my lip covers the brackets unless I smile. At first it was a little difficult to close my lips, but that was temporary. I can't whistle for my dog very well though. And jcdamon3 has a good point about their size vs. stick-out amount. We're all different though, I think getting used to any bracket is a challenge for some of us. But you do get used to them and learn to deal...
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

LizzyG

#5 Post by LizzyG »

I've got Damon 3's and I don't have any problems whatsoever with them sticking out too far, I can close my lips with no difficulty at all, in fact they just close normally at rest just like before I had braces.

I have a friend who has traditional metal braces, and I must say having compared our 'metal mouths' I can't see where they stick out more than his?

Good luck with your braces journey :)

Damon 3's upper and lower - 10 February 2006

Leslie022

#6 Post by Leslie022 »

I haven't had any problems closing my lips. The braces will feel weird when you first get them on but you'll get used to them.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

pedouard

#7 Post by pedouard »

I WANT TO THANK ALL YOU GUYS SOOOO MUCH!!!! I know this may not matter much to most people but it was important to me. I appreciate everyone on archwire! Everyone is so great I wish everyone the best. Thanks guys!! I'll be bugging you guys again soon!!
having braces is a huge step, feel proud of yourself that you took this step to better your self!!!!!

ingyandbert

#8 Post by ingyandbert »

I have Damons and they don't stick out. ALL braces will obviously create more for your lips to cover than just bare teeth. And in fact, I believe it's the ceramics that are larger.

dbagnell

#9 Post by dbagnell »

I love, love, love my Damons. No problems here . . . and btw I had regular metal braces as a teenager, too, so I can compare. I really like the damons. :)

Braced on 6/23/05 for 12-16 months with top and bottom Damon 3s for moderate crowding, slight class II bite and TMJ.