Getting braces in May

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ssfw

Getting braces in May

#1 Post by ssfw »

I went in for my 2nd adjustment to my expander and my orthodontist said that my crossbite has been corrected and he didn't need to make an adjustment. The expander will stay in for awhile to stabilize the expansion. He said I was ready to get my braces on my upper arch. I was very surprised because he had initially estimated I would get my braces in July because he thought the expansion would take about 6 months, so I'm about 3 months ahead of schedule :D . I made an appointment to get my braces in 3 weeks. I could have scheduled it in 2 weeks but on the date he had an opening I am suppose to attend a special event that evening and I hesitated on scheduling to get braces that morning in case I have some discomfort from the braces.

I am hoping the orthodontic treatment will continue to be ahead of schedule. I know that the sooner I get the braces placed the sooner I will get them off, but I figured delaying the placement of the braces by a week can't make that much of a difference. I also think that 3 weeks will give me time to get use of the idea that I'm getting my braces placed.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

missingu

#2 Post by missingu »

The tradeoff of one week versus knowing you'll be comfortable and confident at your event is well worth it.

If you've gotten used to an expander, the braces probably won't be as much of a "shock" as those of us who haven't had metal in our mouth for 30 years!

Enjoy your freedom, and hope the bracing goes well.

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

ssfw, that is awesome news!

I remember reading your posts and seeing that your adjustments were for the expansion...now it will finally be for the braces!!

Good for you and good luck. Let us know how it goes :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

ssfw

#4 Post by ssfw »

Thanks for your posts missingu and Flora2006.

When I was scheduling the appointment to get my braces, because of the length of the appointment, the first availability they had was in 2 weeks. But that day didn't work well with my schedule because I am attending a special event late that afternoon. I wasn't sure if I was going to be in any discomfort and there's always a possibility I won't be in any, but I didn't want to take the chance. Part of me told myself to get them placed as soon as possible but as I thought about it I knew it would be best to choose a day that's good for me and usually for something like getting braces I think the transition is easier if it is done on a day that is not too busy for me. My orthodontist said I can get it done anytime but would be best to get them placed within about 6 weeks.

ssfw

ssfw

#5 Post by ssfw »

Hi KK,

Thanks for your post KK.

I was surprised and happy to hear that the expander has done its job of correcting my crossbite. In the last week, I had seen a big improvement in my crossbite but thought I had needed a bit more expansion. I truly can say that with the correction of the crossbite, my teeth look so much better because the upper teeth are more in a u-shape now. I'm not real worried about the pain from the braces but I am a bit nervous about the visual aspect of the braces, but I know I will get over that. My orthodontist still isn't sure if I will need lower braces but will know a couple months after I get my braces. At this point, great if I don't need the lower braces but not a big deal if I do need them. My lower teeth are straight and he is hoping he will be able to have the braces give me a good bite of where I had the crossbite and reduce my overjet. My goal is if there is anything that needs to be corrected, I want it to be corrected no matter how minor it is since I will be wearing braces anyway. I do hope after I get my braces it will go as smoothly as it already has.

ssfw