Spacers tomorrow and BRACES thursday!! AHHH

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

stacey07

Spacers tomorrow and BRACES thursday!! AHHH

#1 Post by stacey07 »

ok so i get braced thursday with clear top and normal bottoms... i'm pretty freaked. my teeth aren't very crooked but i have a crossbite so that my left canine is wearing away a couple of lower teeth.. also my front 4 teeth at the top are very narrow because the canines are sort of rotated.... the bottom is straight just a little crowded. I'm already getting annoyed with people asking why i'm even getting braces! :roll:
i went out and bought everything i could possibly need (new toothbrush, wax, etc.) to convince myself not to chicken out again!
anyone got any suggestions for answers when people can't see why i'm going to have braces? i guess i shouldn't have to explain myself!
This site has been awesome and any advice and words of wisdom would be gold to me!! thanks guys.
xox :D

missingu

#2 Post by missingu »

Yup, know that one intimately.

Assuming you want to give a polite reply (believe me, I have thought of a few that aren't), the answer of:

"it was recommended by my dentist/orthodontist because of structural concerns with my jaw/bite/occlusion/appropriate word"

Most people don't feel the need to know after that, since that tends to 'creep' people out just enough to drop the matter.

Just remember to give the answer with confidence as if "of course I need braces" and don't let any hint of self-doubt (which we all have now and then) seep through. Pretty soon the novelty should wear off, at least for those who you see frequently. However, there's always going to be that oddball months down the road...

stacey07

thanks

#3 Post by stacey07 »

thanks heaps for that! Haha, yeh it was finding a polite response i was having trouble with!
I guess i'll quickly get comfortable with the idea that it only really matters that i know i need them! cheers again. :)