tooth pain from clenching

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bombersfan805

tooth pain from clenching

#1 Post by bombersfan805 »

i just got bottom braces put on less than a week ago (top have been on for about 2 months). i've noticed in the last couple of weeks, especially since getting bottom braces, that i wake up with certain teeth hurting due to clenching at night. i also notice that i clench during the day. i read some posts on this saying that it's due to my teeth moving that i'm clenching, but is there a chance that i will wear down my enamel before the braces come off (i've got about 2 1/2 years left)? does it get better with time, or does the clenching and pain keep on throughout treatment? i'm thinking of asking my ortho about this, but i was just there less than a week ago and i dont know if i should wait till my next appointment, or if i should call if the pain keeps up? usually after a few minutes in the morning the pain goes away but this evening a different tooth was really sore whenever i bite down... does anyone else have similar problems?

sydsmom

#2 Post by sydsmom »

I would call and make an appointment. This started happening to me about 4 or 5 weeks after I got braced. It was awful...I was so tired because the clenching kept waking me up at night! My ortho made a "bite plane" for me -- which is basically like a retainer but the plastic part is a little thicker -- to wear at night so that my teeth don't touch. I also had to be very conscious of not clenching during the day.

The bite plane helped me immediately to be able to sleep without worrying I would damage my teeth. I would still wake up with a tight jaw, but at least my teeth weren't gnashing together all night! And I can say that 3 1/2 months in, my jaw is finally adjusting, and my clenching has decreased by about 70%.

Good luck!
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06