Elastics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chris

Elastics

#1 Post by Chris »

Well, I just got my elastics again (good old Fred and Roger).

One side is from Upper back molar down to lower canine and the other side from Upper canine to furthest back lower molar. So they are making each side go a different way.

Sorry my rechargeable batteries died or I would take pics.

Right now my jaw feels like its pulling to the left! First night was the worst, I gave in and took them out. But its been several days I've graduated from Roger to Fred (5/16" to 1/4") :lol: Me and Fred didn't get along much in the past.

For those of you in elastics...you all know what I'm going through...my bite feels awful! Image

I'll take any words of encouragement right now.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

flowertowngal

I know!

#2 Post by flowertowngal »

Hang in there! Gosh, everytime I go to my ortho I pray he will say "You're done with elastics!" but everytime I get an even worse configuration than the last! I know it's helping but I feel your pain...it's the pits!

Chris

#3 Post by Chris »

Did I neglect to mention I also got a powerchain on top to add to the discomfort?

Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Leslie022

#4 Post by Leslie022 »

Elastics and a powerchain all in the same day? Holy moley charlie brown!

I'm dreading the day when I hear my ortho mention that profane E-word!

Feel better!!
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

hannah164

#5 Post by hannah164 »

Awwww, Chris!

That sounds horrible! Hang in there! Just remember you're on the road to a beautiful smile and a better bite! :D

I'm dreading the day that my ortho finally gives me elastics! I know he will as my bite is incredibly wacky! He almost did at one of my last adjustments but changed his mind! :roll:

Good luck and hope you see loads of progress and not much pain! :D

~HAnnah :frogbraces:

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

bckydgardnr

#6 Post by bckydgardnr »

Chris,
What is your ortho trying to fix?
I go Tuesday. My ortho says this is the one where he starts to correct my bite. I am curious how it is done with elastics.
Gardnr
bckydgardnr
braced 1/18/05

Tin Man

#7 Post by Tin Man »

Last tuesday I got (1) new stainless steel finishing wires, (2) new powerchains top and bottom (which are now yellow and disgusting thanks to the mustard I had today) and (3) my first exprience with elastics, class 3 configuration (top molars to lower canines). I'm loving life! :ouch:
Mike
3M smartclips top and bottom since 10/13/04
Off November 06!

Attagirl2

#8 Post by Attagirl2 »

Ouch! :soremouth: Hang in there, Chris - an the rest of you too.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

fins

#9 Post by fins »

I know the feeling Chris. Right now I am thinking maybe my elastic is doing TOO good a job - my bite feels lopsided and I can see that one side of my arch is pulled downward. It feels like an overcorrection to me but I'm sure my ortho knows what to do. Just think, after the elastics do their job the end must surely be in sight.

Chris

#10 Post by Chris »

[quote=]I know the feeling Chris. Right now I am thinking maybe my elastic is doing TOO good a job - my bite feels lopsided and I can see that one side of my arch is pulled downward. It feels like an overcorrection to me but I'm sure my ortho knows what to do. Just think, after the elastics do their job the end must surely be in sight.[/quote]

Lopsided...now thats the exact same wording I was thinking of. :x
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

OneBluCrayon

#11 Post by OneBluCrayon »

UGH. I know exactally what your going through.

Today I received a new elastics configuration: Squares around last two teeth on top to last two teeth on bottom, on both sides.... And i also got a powerchain..... My first one.... Just hours later my whole jaw is killing me and my bite feels all messed up again :soremouth: It seems like my bite always gets into a good place, then i have an appointment and its all down the drain for another few weeks. :|

Ive been in elastics for almost a year now, even though I wear them faithfully. I am soooo tired of all the extra work they cause, and the PAIN! Grr :evil:

I am supposed to have these aweful things off soon, but after today it looks like ill have them for a month or so longer than planned :-((

Anyhow, hope things get better for you... and me :)
If you're on the ride, you might as well open your eyes!
Banded: Dec 24, 2004

CreedAngel81

#12 Post by CreedAngel81 »

Well I just got braced today and my ortho gave me elastics to start once I feel comfortable with having the braces. He said to start them in two weeks but I just might start them on Sunday if all feels well. Seems really early, but I guess I'd rather get some progress right away. I have to switch the elastics three times a day every 8 hrs. to a different upper tooth. Thats alot of work for a newbie! Oh, I have an overbite and minor crowding. Doesn't the elastics work on your bite...or can it straighten as well.
Inspire Ice Sapphire braces top
Metal bottom
Treatment Estimate: 1 yr
Results=Beautiful Smile for Wedding!

Chris

#13 Post by Chris »

Well I just got braced today and my ortho gave me elastics to start once I feel comfortable with having the braces. He said to start them in two weeks but I just might start them on Sunday if all feels well. Seems really early, but I guess I'd rather get some progress right away. I have to switch the elastics three times a day every 8 hrs. to a different upper tooth. Thats alot of work for a newbie! Oh, I have an overbite and minor crowding. Doesn't the elastics work on your bite...or can it straighten as well.
Wow...elastics right at the beginning! I don't know how you can handle that much pain.

Elastics are for both straightening and leveling the bite I've been told.

Right now I have a back molar that needs uprighting and they have the elastic on it stretched to the upper canine. It feels like my molar band is digging into my gum with the movement. Anybody else have problems with their bands digging into the gum after the elastics were put on?
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Clo

#14 Post by Clo »

Hi Chris,

this is from someone who knows a lot about elastics ... as you know !
So, I hope you get fast and good results with them. As my elastic names
are countries, I do not know Fred. Try to get along with him this time, he
is not that bad a person after all, as he really can improve things. I can't
help with the molar band issue though, as all my elastics tend to pull my
uppers lower and my lowers higher, so away from my gums. But I saw
many pics where these bands were partly covered with some gum tissue.
So I guess this will only be a short time annoyance. But I would call my
ortho if that gum area would get painful or reddish or if the irritation would
not go away.

Best of luck !

Chris

#15 Post by Chris »

Thanks, Clo! Elastics are getting easier to wear. Actually I don't feel much pulling any more (sure hope it works) and its most uncomfortable when you put them back in again after eating without them.

Has anyone ever had an elastic from top canine to "way in the back" bottom molar? I'm missing the 1st big molar so he has to stretch it to the last molar and it seems like it will be difficult to pull that canine back since it doesn't pull as hard as on the other side where the 1st molar has the elastic.

The band still irritates but the molar has to be uprighted so perhaps its that too. :roll:
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007