Methods for Gap Closure

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

OnMyWay

Methods for Gap Closure

#1 Post by OnMyWay »

Does anyone know what the fastest method for closing extraction gaps is? I have closing loops that are trying to do the trick but I can already see this is going to be a super long process because as my ortho said there is a lot of space to close. I'm not complaining about the progress but just wondering if this proceeds really slow if there are other faster methods we may go to.

erica

#2 Post by erica »

My ortho has used two different closing methods for me, power chains and closing loops. I had four first premolars extracted, and the power chains were used quite early in my treatment to pull my canines and molars together. After several months, those gaps had closed up, but I was left with big gaps between my lateral incisors and canines (in other words, instead of having six front teeth together then gaps like right after extractions, I had my four front teeth together then gaps). That's when my ortho switched to closing loops.

The closing loops didn't work quite as quickly as the powerchains. BUT they were needed to ensure that the four front teeth got pulled in only one direction - into my mouth to line up my bite properly. Unlike power chains, where force is acting in both directions to pull the teeth together, the closing loops apply force primarily in one direction. So they don't work as quickly, but the movement is better controlled. I had one pesky side that was taking longer than the other to close, so my ortho had to put an additional bend in the loop, which sped things up.

I hope that helps, although I'm sure there are other closing methods others can comment on. Good luck! :)

jas_2008

#3 Post by jas_2008 »

I have four powerchains on right now. the lower two were put on the second day of getting my braces, the upper two came probably two weeks later... I think I'll be following Erica's path - also had 4 extractions, ortho said the canines will be pulled towards molars first, then it's the turn to pull the front teeth in. I'm only one month into the treatment so don't know what "closing loops" look like yet :)

I asked whether the gaps will close in 6 months. ortho said, "6 month??? no no, waaaaay beyond that" :cry:

OnMyWay

#4 Post by OnMyWay »

Thanks for your replies. What you said about power chains and closing loops really made sense. From what you said, I think since I have no crowding in the front anymore they only want to pull my molars forward and not my canine back. My ortho said it'll be about 1 mm a month and it'll be about 4 months. Which seems like a long time but maybe it'll fly by.

kirst1583

#5 Post by kirst1583 »

For me it was mainly power chains. I did have them doubled up at one stage also...
Recently I had to wear elastics on top of a power chain too (horizontal over the gaps, so separate ones for upper and lower obviously).
All up it took about a yr and 1/2 to close the gaps. A very long process but definitely worth the wait.
Mine were extraction gaps so they were also quite large compared to some other peoples.
Good luck, hopefully the time will fly by :wink: