changing my own rubber bands on ceramic braces??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Elsuzanno

changing my own rubber bands on ceramic braces??

#1 Post by Elsuzanno »

Hello everyone! I'm new to this website and have a question. I will be out of town during the summer and I have clear ceramic braces, so I'm wondering if I can change my rubber bands myself since they tend to stain. I was thinking about ordering some clear elastic ties and finding out the name of the instrument used to put on the bands. Does this sound like a good idea?? Thank you!

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

I would okay this with your ortho.

Some peole on here, in the past, have done this with their ortho's blessing! Their doc gave them the ligs and taught them how to do it.

I would never do this without talking to the your ortho since the type of ligs varies as well as the configuration. Sometimes they use a figure 8 or may put the lig on only 2 or 3 corners of the brackets to apply force differently or they may use a wire tie instead.

Hey, maybe you could ask for wire ties for that period of time since they don't stain at all!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Elsuzanno

thank you

#3 Post by Elsuzanno »

Thanks for the quick reply! I guess it might be a good idea to run it by my Dr first...