final words of wisdom!? can't believe i'm doing it!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

stacey07

final words of wisdom!? can't believe i'm doing it!

#1 Post by stacey07 »

15 hours till i'm braced! freaking out but excited, just worried about how my face will look and how i'll speak - (i know how vain that sounds...) but since i'm getting them mostly for cosmetic reasons i'm scared i'll make things worse somehow!! silly i know. :oops:
I have to go to work pretty much straight after i get them on, do you think i'll be ok to? how was everyone for the first 5 or so hours after... pain? could you speak ok?
I would so much appreciate if you would share your experience and advice with me about everything!? :D
oh, and i have been extremely lucky with the spacers! only got them monday but i haven't had any pain! i've actually enjoyed bouncing my teeth off them! thanks heaps for any advice! and if you tell me how to post pictures i'll give you a before pic and one tomorrow! :?

thanks again xox

newbie82

you'll be fine

#2 Post by newbie82 »

Firstly congrats on taking the plunge, it's going to be so worth it!

I have to admit that when I first saw myself in braces I was horrified, I absolutely hated them and sulked for several days but I soon saw the changes happening and also got so used to them I would forget they were even here. Now, I am SO comfortable with them, i love them.

As for going to work and talking etc, well I was SO scared about going to work, what would everyone say? But they were mostly like cool you have braces or said nothing. I was treated EXACTLy like i was before braces. So they should I say! And i could talk absolutley fine after I got them.
My pain arrived about day four just rubbing heaps, my teeth were definitly tender for a good 2 weeks could not bite into anything, but chewing was ok.

As for the pics I've been told to go to www.imageshack.us where you upload your photos there then use the link they give you to post your pic.

Well Good luck!! :)

[/url]

momof2grlz

#3 Post by momof2grlz »

Congratulations on starting your journey.

You might experience some soreness a couple hours after your braces are placed. My advice is to take Advil BEFORE you go to your appointment and continue taking it every few hours as directed for the first two or three days until you realize you don't need it anymore. It was a lot easier for me to deal with the discomfort if I stayed ahead of it instead of trying to "tough it out" and then it got bad enough that pain reliever really didn't help.

Talking right after was OK for me, just a little lisp and a little extra saliva. You'll adjust pretty quickly.

Good luck!

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

straighter-teeth

#4 Post by straighter-teeth »

Congratulations on getting braces! I actually got mine yesterday, Tuesday, May 2nd. I kep waiting for the pain and discomfort and I didn't have any. Even last night I thought I'd wake up today and be in pain, but nothing other than the annoyance of the brackets in your mouth. But I know I'll get used to it. But I will tell you something that I purchased that may be doing the trick ... it's called Good Vibrations. It's a battery-operated piece that you stick in your mouth for 15 minutes and it vibrates and it's supposed to keep the blood flowing and keep you from having pain. I used it immediately upon leaving the ortho's office yesterday and used it every 3 to 4 hours. I also took Tylenol before I went to the appt. and I have taken it every few hours to keep pain away. So not sure if it's the device or the Tylenol or both but it's working. Haven't had any rubbing areas yet on my teeth against my cheeks or tongue yet either. Trying to eat can be interesting. I've had banana, peanut butter and honey sandwich, soup. Seems to work but feels like your mouth is full of junk. I have a waterpick and that seems to do wonders! Good luck!

missingu

#5 Post by missingu »

As I understand it, only linguals impact talking, as it is a function of the tongue hitting up against the back of the teeth, not the front.

If you have any applicance on the inside of your teeth or upper teeth, then there might be an impact, but otherwise the biggest issue seems to be the rubbing of the brackets on the cheek/gums, which shouldn't impact talking (just discomfort).

Remember, you are probably going to notice every little change in your mouth and others may/may not notice. Be confident about your journey and continue to live a full life.

new boy james

#6 Post by new boy james »

Hiya, I just got braced yesterday and went straight to work aswell!!! It's a customer service job so I need to be able to speak but I was fine, my speech hasn't been affected and I didn't have any immediate pain either. It just feels......weird!!!!!
Good luck!!

stacey07

thanks!!

#7 Post by stacey07 »

thankyou all so much! this site has been what convinced me i could handle braces!
i go to get them in an hour (9:15 south aus time) and i've been up for hours cos im so excited and a lil freaked!
THANKYOU all so much for all the last minute tips and support! :D
i'll let you know how it went after work! have organised to go out saturday night with a friend so i don't let myself hide from the world! :lol:
THANKS AGAIN!!!! xox

SamanthaClavier

#8 Post by SamanthaClavier »

congrats (i hope everything goes well and i wish you luck!)

stacey07

hooorayyyy

#9 Post by stacey07 »

they're on!!! whole thing went really well! i only have very small amount of tenderness but anticipate a wonderful week of pain killers and yoghurt!!
Couldn't believe i actually did it after i've talked about it and avoided it for so long!
(BTW, realised i haven't really said anything bout myself, 18 yr old girl from south oz!! just finished school and on my yr off! nice to meet you! :wink: )
it is so strange to look at this new face in the mirror! i'm sort of in denial, as if they will only be in for a week or something!! (denial is not just a river in egypt!!) there may be tears when i realise! :Pquick question... why on a few of my teeth did they use wire ties and not just the same as the rest? also what do you do about wax when brushing? is it ok to leave some in when you sleep?
Thanks you wonderful people!!!
xox

stacey07

#10 Post by stacey07 »

These are my teeth b4 braces, it isn't a good pic as most the problem spots are hidden. but you can see the top left (right when you look at it like this!) teeeth are pointing in and are rotated, its the same but worse on the other side and the other side is the side that wearing down the bottom teeth. also crowding esp. bottom front teeth bout 4th from middle on right.
I know my teeth aren't awful but it's just lots of lil things plus long term stuff!

And this is with my metal mouth. I'd be lying if i said i wasn't a lil negative about it but oh well onwards and upwards!

newbie82

Yay!

#11 Post by newbie82 »

Congrats on the new braces! As we all know it is going to be worth it, and they really are not that bad AT ALL to have. Yes there are your bad days, but they are (for me anyway) far and few between (touch wood!). What I'm trying to say is it's ALL good!!

By the way I'm from west. oz! :D

Pirate Wench

#12 Post by Pirate Wench »

:thumbsup: Your new braces look fantastic. You will get used to them after a while. Dry those eyes....no more tears.....it will all be worth it when everything is corrected. :BigTeethGrin:

Try to have some fun with them...I know that is my plan! I hope someone will remind me of what I just said on June 15th after I get mine :lol: