Non drowsy pain meds

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jaswi

Non drowsy pain meds

#1 Post by jaswi »

Okay, so I've never been much of a person to take any kind of meds, but I know I'm going to have to take some pain meds when I get braces, I'm wondering what kind to take that wont make me sleepy, or less alert. Reason? I work on a fast paced assembly line and am often required to operate heavy machinery(fork lifts mainly) in close proximity to people, not to mention valuable parts.

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

I never take pain killers either...though I will take an Advil or Motrin if I really can't take pain any longer...they only take away the pain...no drowsiness or anything.

BUT...medication works differently on everyone....

Good luck.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

missingu

#3 Post by missingu »

prescription or over-the-counter?

jaswi

#4 Post by jaswi »

otc

missingu

#5 Post by missingu »

Pretty much any of the OTC pain relievers, intended for daytime use (not like tylenol PM) do not have ingredients that make a person drowsy.

Most orthos recommend the Motrin/Advil (aka NSAIDs - Non Steroidal Anit-Inflammatory Drug) and they have no ingredients to make a person drowsy. Tylenol and regular aspirin also work but the NSAIDs are preferable.

missingu

#6 Post by missingu »

In the US, paracetamol is known as acetominophen (generic for Tylenol). The concern with any pain meds with caffeine (in US, Excedrin is the big offender) is that caffeine is a vasodilator (relaxes blood vessels) and can impact blood pressure and be more conducive to "head rushes" because of the heightened blood flow to the head due to the widened blood vessels as well as be troublesome due to the heightened pressure of blood flow.

The NSAIDs are preferred because they have anti-inflammatory properties and generally pain can (but not always) be due to subtle inflammation from the pressure of the ortho work.

Lucy is right about avoiding aspirin if you have extractions; but if the concern is strictly being braced, most people recommend taking Advil/Motrin before you go to your appointment, so the analgesic effect will be kicking in when you are done.

Good luck.

jaswi

#7 Post by jaswi »

I'm thinkin the stuff with caffeine might be the way to go for me, Its not unusual for me to pop a no-doze at some point in any night.

missingu

#8 Post by missingu »

If you are US, the likely med will be Excedrin. However, it is aspirin and tylenol, with none of the anti-inflammatory capabilties of the motrin/advil class. If you already take no doz, you should check with the ortho about what they recommend, and take the caffeine separately. I also think it would be a good idea to run the no doz idea past the ortho, just in case, but I have never known of an ortho recommending other than advil/motrin.