Smoking with Damons?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pearl

Smoking with Damons?

#1 Post by pearl »

Does anyone here who wears Damons or any half metal half clear braces smoke? Does it sain the clear part? My ortho told me not to smoke cigars but ahhhhh I'm dying for a smoke. :(

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

well don't smoke! :-)

I doubt it. I have had them for 9 months right now and nothing has stained them. I drink tea everyday.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

missingu

#3 Post by missingu »

I don't know about how the ortho placed the Damons, but for me the clear part was facing "up" with the metal "down" (lowers were all metal). As such, the clear part was very small, and very hard to see because my lips covered it pretty much. Therefore it was very hard to see if they were stained since the clear part really wasn't visible.

Of course the ortho is going to tell you not to smoke, They kind of have to, given all the warnings about smoking (of any sort).

I am not a smoker, but a cigar every now and then, especially if you brush soon thereafter (that might make you quit...combining toothpaste and cigars) I can't imagine it would do that much damage.

Did the cigars stain your teeth prior to braces? If they didn't stain much then, it seems like they shouldn't stain too much now. Try one and see what happens because that would probably give you a sense of what will happen. If it is problemmatic, maybe you need to lay off, but if not, everything in moderation.

Skinny

#4 Post by Skinny »

I will be getting Damons in 4 days! How do you guys like them? Are they smaller then normal medal brackets?
Im not sure if I will be getting the 1/2 clear ones or the all medal ones? I will find out when I get them put on.
If you must smoke I would say to Brush and use mouth wash after you smoke just to be safe. I used to smoke too, So I feel for ya! If they start to yurn a bit yellow the stop smoking before it gets worse just watch it so you can tell. Surly it will be over time to yellow.
Im 30 Female
TMD, Crowding, Overbite
Clear on top Medal on bottom
Beauitful smile wishes to Everyone!
Skinny

Leslie022

#5 Post by Leslie022 »

Maybe you should get that <b>Targon</b> Mouthrinse. I don't know if that stuff works but it's supposed to be for smokers.
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

perfectangel818

#6 Post by perfectangel818 »

I do smoke (please no lectures, just being honest) and i've not had any problems with anything staining. The only difficult part is i have this strange plastic tube going around my archwire where i have a huge gap (not really sure what it's purpose is) and it has stained yellowish. But I'm sure it's a combo of diet dr pepper, tomato sauce, and smoking. It's not very noticeable to anyone but me. (I think!)
Stacy

perfectangel818

#7 Post by perfectangel818 »

er... i meant to include in there that I do have Damon 3s
Stacy

Dark_angel

Re: Smoking with Damons?

#8 Post by Dark_angel »

Does anyone here who wears Damons or any half metal half clear braces smoke? Does it sain the clear part? My ortho told me not to smoke cigars but ahhhhh I'm dying for a smoke. :(
Get yourself some patches or gum and make now the time to quit for good. The health benefits will be amazing as well as it being better for your oral health during treatment.

Flora2006

#9 Post by Flora2006 »

I've read somewhere (probably here ;)) that the brackets won't stain, but with time, if you have cement sticking out...on your teeth...that will stain a bit.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006