My Waterpik is Freaking Me Out!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fins

#16 Post by fins »

Creedangel81- I didn't floss all my teeth at the start because of some close contact between teeth. Eventually they moved and I could get the floss in there. I did have to baby certain teeth with my electric toothbrush because they hurt at the start. Just floss where you can until you feel better. The waterpik is really great, I can't imagine not using one. Rinsing doesn't come close to getting the food out of my braces - I'm very dependent on my waterpik. Good luck.

kel

#17 Post by kel »

Thanks for all the tips everyone!!

I have finally been able to use the waterpik comfortably by putting it in my mouth. I guess if you hold it closer you have more control over the mess and it has a less powerful shot. I was holding it so far away the spray was like a water canon!! :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Kel

Way Too Old For This

#18 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Lucy, I use the highest setting also and the clear tips and warm water. No problems. My friend has a couple of 'pockets' in her gums and her dentist told her not to blast them with the waterpik on high but to go a little easy on those spots. I've never had any problems, I turn it down when I go around Ruth, but even that area is getting almost tough enough to take full blast.

I like to run the blast high on my gums to massage them also. It feels really good when my teeth are sore.

I have the regular Waterpik with the resevoir at home. Sometimes I fill it twice. I use the cordless one at work and on trips but don't like it very much because I have to fill it about 6 times, plus the jet of water is about half as strong as the regular Waterpik.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Lyn

#19 Post by Lyn »

"If you can get a waterpik with different settings, get one. Mine has 7 and I use setting 7 almost all the time. You must use warm water, cold water can really hurt! The other trick is to keep your head as close to the basin as possible. That means you can't look in the mirror to see where you are cleaning but you won't need to, you will see as you move it around that it's doing its job. Sometimes I need to refill the waterpik and do it twice. The sink will be an awful mess but your teeth will be food free. Hope that helps. Oh, and keep flossing too.
She said it all right here.
Keep your mouth slightly closed - with your head bent forward into the sink. Don't look at your teeth until the reservoir is empty. If you need to fill it up again do it. Sometimes I do it 2 or 3 xs. Look in the mirror in between to see where you have missed.
I would be lost without my waterpik - warm water is a MUST!!!!
~Lyn
16 months in BRACES!
Ceramic Braces on top 7/3/05
Metal Braces on bottom 10/25/05
OFF 11/8/06 - Now in Essix Retainers 24/7

fins

#20 Post by fins »

Hmmm...I use the highest setting and I haven't heard any comments from my dentist about anything wrong with my gums. I asked my ortho about the setting and damage and she said she never heard of that. I DO try to keep the waterpik on the teeth but it does go around the brackets and the gumline.

On another note, I got to floss without my archwire the other day and what a nice QUICK flossing that was. :D