Newbie concerns Damon 3 vs GAC's Mystique

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

travler220

Newbie concerns Damon 3 vs GAC's Mystique

#1 Post by travler220 »

I first want to say thanks to everyone that posts to this site - I'm 30 years old and have debated braces for as long as I can remember - I have spent hours reading many of the posts and it's comforting to know that my hang-ups are felt by so many others -

So over a year ago I met with my ortho - he told me I was going to need a tooth pulled or wear a distal jet for 6-9 months and he stongly recommended Damon 3s.

So I thougt about it and thought about and - who am I kidding - I procrastinated for a whole year -

So last week I stumbled across this forum and went back to the orth in attempts to move forward. He is still recommending the Distal Jet (he does not like to remove teeth) but no longer recommends Damon 3.

His current recommendation is GAC. Mystique on the front top 6 and metal (Innovation) everywhere else. He no longer recommends Damon 3's becasue of issues with them breaking.

I have an appointment in two weeks to get my spacers put in and I'm hoping the group can provide some insight to the following -

1) Does 6-9 months with a Distal Jet seem excessive? I only need to move 1 tooth back - my ortho prefers this over an extraction, but this is a long time. What were your experiences with the Distal Jet?
2) I've searched the posts and found alot of information on the Damon 3s, but can't find much information regarding the GAC Mystiques - for those of you using the Mystiques what are your thoughts - likes/dislikes -

thanks in advance

missingu

#2 Post by missingu »

Of the many, many, many discussions about Damons on this board, I don't recall any discussing them breaking. Difficulty with wires, yes, breaking, no.

Please get at least one, preferably two more consultations. The change of heart merits at least another opinion or two. Also, when there is discussion of extractions, it is important to get multiple opinions.

Welcome aboard.

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

Kiwi Wrote:
I read your post with interest, as my ortho used damons for a while, but has stopped due to quality issues. One he mentioned was problems with breakages. Hopefully the damon people are sorting that one out, as I know there are many on this site who love their damon brackets and are having great success with them.
I am one of those who really likes her Damons. That said, there IS a problem for quite a few people with the doors sticking. For some reason, mine have always slid open without any difficulty. And I've only broken 1 Damon off (the other one that came off was an Opal) LUCKY ME! :dance:

Anyway, Damon is aware of this problem and has come out with a newer Damon3 bracket that has addressed the door problem as well as the bonding problems. I wanted to put the link here, but the site is not working this morning. :? Oh, I'll paste it here anyway, maybe it'll be working later http://www.ormco.com/damon/index.cfm

Best wishes to you!! Let us know how things go.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm