Time between adjustments

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Fran1988

Time between adjustments

#1 Post by Fran1988 »

Here is the thing. i have been looking around on the forums and have realised that people only seem to have to wait between 4 - 6 weeks to get their braces adjusted. I have to wait almost 9 weeks to get my first adjustment, I don't know why, but i was wondering if anybody else has had to wait that long between adjustments?

:?: :Questions: :?: :?: :Questions: :?: :?: :Questions: :?: :?: :Questions: :?::?: :Questions: :?:

Dark_angel

#2 Post by Dark_angel »

Fran1988 suggests to me you were born in 1988 which is a cool year cus its the year i was born :wink: so im going to assume your getting NHS treatment, feel free to correct me.

So far my adjustments have been, 7, 9, 6, and 8 weeks and im recieving NHS treatment at a local hospital, often the long waiting is caused by holidays (the 9 weeks was over xmas) and the hospital being very busy.

Modern braces dont need so much maintanance and they will still be doing their job 9 weeks on. May i ask why your having treatment?

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

Mine started out being 11 weeks apart. Then were between 11 and 9 weeks apart for the rest of the past year.

If you've got self-ligting brackets, this is absolutely normal!!! If you've got traditional brackets, there's a reason your ortho is spacing your adjustments like this.

Trust your orthodontist!!!!! He has had a LOT of education! He knows what he needs to do with YOUR teeth and how to do it.

Don't worry!

Jenn
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Samantha08

#4 Post by Samantha08 »

I have been having to wait 8 weeks in between adjustments, but my next adjustment is goign to come only 6 weeks after my last one. :) I dont really know, I guess it depends on the person.
Estimated Time: 15-18 months

jennandtonic

#5 Post by jennandtonic »

It could depend on how busy the orthodontist is or how he's approacing your treatment. I wouldn't worry, though I can certainly understand being impatient for the next appointment!

Flora2006

#6 Post by Flora2006 »

I go for adjustments every 4 weeks...but I think that is how my ortho works with all his patients.

With that said, 9 weeks is normal. So many people on this board don't go every 4 weeks...a lot go between 6 and up...

Don't worry about it...if anything, just ask your ortho why the adjustments are at such interval.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

jennandtonic

#7 Post by jennandtonic »

Flora2006 said:
I go for adjustments every 4 weeks...but I think that is how my ortho works with all his patients.

With that said, 9 weeks is normal. So many people on this board don't go every 4 weeks...a lot go between 6 and up...

Don't worry about it...if anything, just ask your ortho why the adjustments are at such interval.
When I first started scoping out the board, I thought I was really unusual for having 3-5 weeks between each adjustment, everyone else seemed to have 6-8! So far, looking at everyone's times, I think it's more unusual to have a shorter time than a longer time. However, each ortho is different, and each mouth is different, too.

Flora2006

#8 Post by Flora2006 »

I completely agree with you jennandtonic!!!

I always look at my ticker and how at just 4 months today...I am having my 5th!!!!!! adjustment in 3 weeks...and then I see TONS of other tickers with people on their 7-8-9 months of having braces and are going on their 5-6th adjustments! lol.

But I really like the fact that mine are so close together...my wire always rubs my cheeks in my 2nd week after each adjustment so going in every 4 weeks is good. It also feels like time in braces go by faster just because those adjustments come by pretty fast.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

butterfly

#9 Post by butterfly »

It depends what they are doing. I had to come back after 2 weeks only to get a specific rubber band replaced. Sometimes there was a 2 month waiting period between adjustments because I had to wait for the wire to straighten out. This has nothing to do with holidays either. (I pay fully for my treatment and would never agree to any delay due to holidays.)
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

kel

#10 Post by kel »

Hi Fran1988,

I am having my orthodontic treatment on the NHS. I am now having adjustments every 6-8 weeks, but after my top brace was placed I had about a 9-10 week wait. They seemed to do this as standard, and the idea I got was that it was to give the teeth time to settle down before adjusting. They had a reason because they did have earlier appointments.

Like everyone has said I think it depends on the individuals' treatment.

Kel

Fran1988

#11 Post by Fran1988 »

Cheers guys. Yes as i am only 17 i am getting it done on the NHS, at a local Doctors which also houses a Otho. I am not soo much worried about the time that i have to wait between now and my first adjustment, (come on i have waited over 5 years to get them on :shock:). however, i was just enquiring what the "normal" length of time was. My Ortho is extremely small with only one Otho and only one room, in fact the entire team consists of only 3 people. But i am extremley happy that i have finally got them on, I am soo excited to getting lovely straight teeth. I did have quite big, triangular front teeth, that were slightly inverted. When I had my braces put on yesterday my ortho reshaped them and they instantly look better and smaller :mrgreen: I also had a small overbite which needs correcting, but over all my otho said that my teeth are not that bad compared to many patients that he treats. I was bullied quite alot due to my front teeth when i was at school, which nocks my confidence in smiling and laughing, which brings me down a heck of a lot. But now i can't seem to stop smiling because i know that in a few months time i will have perfect teeth and will have nothing to lose when smilling and laughing :BigTeethGrin: Infact the only thing i will lose is my lack of confidence and embarrasment in front people.

Cheers guys :D

jennandtonic

#12 Post by jennandtonic »

Flora2006 said:
I completely agree with you jennandtonic!!!

I always look at my ticker and how at just 4 months today...I am having my 5th!!!!!! adjustment in 3 weeks...and then I see TONS of other tickers with people on their 7-8-9 months of having braces and are going on their 5-6th adjustments! lol.

But I really like the fact that mine are so close together...my wire always rubs my cheeks in my 2nd week after each adjustment so going in every 4 weeks is good. It also feels like time in braces go by faster just because those adjustments come by pretty fast.
I like that mine are close together too for the same reasons. Plus I have really gotten to know my orthodontist and the ortho assistants, definitely a bonus!

Henna_the_braceface

#13 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

mine's usually 4-6 weeks but now its 8 weeks. its at a dental hospital