How long does it take....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MuleNag

How long does it take....

#1 Post by MuleNag »

How long does it take to get the braces put on (top and bottom)?

I tried doing a search but I wasn't quite sure what key words to look up.

I have a timing problem...I'm supposed to get my braces put on tomorrow morning at 7:30am. Well at 11:00am I have an appt in another city 2.5 hrs away. Will I be done by 8:30 to get on the road? The receptionist at the dentist office thinks I will be done in an hour. How long did it take some of you?

Thanks in advance for your help!

CLAmom

#2 Post by CLAmom »

It went quicker than I ever thought it would--about 45 minutes. That was with trying several different sizes of molar bands! :lol:

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

sjsarre

#3 Post by sjsarre »

Mine took about 45minutes.

dbagnell

#4 Post by dbagnell »

That depends - I missed a doctor's appointment because mine took over two hours because of my TMJ. If you have TMJ or any other jaw problems it can take much longer. I had a really, really hard time keeping my mouth open through the pain. My orthodontist stopped frequently to allow my jaws to relax. You may be cutting it close.

Braced on 6/23/05 for 12-16 months with top and bottom Damon 3s for moderate crowding, slight class II bite and TMJ.

straighter-teeth

#5 Post by straighter-teeth »

I'd say it would depend on your doctor and the tech that helps him. Mine took 1 hr. 15 minutes for ceramics top and bottom and that was trying three or four different molar bands. Couldn't get one to fit right. Plus, if they like to talk with you ... chat a bit ... like mine does ... takes a while.

OnMyWay

#6 Post by OnMyWay »

Mine was for over two hours. I think a lot of the time was spent trying to find the molar band that fit the best for every single tooth and since I have 10 molar bands the time really added up.

MuleNag

#7 Post by MuleNag »

Thanks for the answers!
No TMJ or anything here and I'm getting metal top and bottom, if that makes any difference.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed! My dentist likes to keep his appts. moving and he's not much of a chit-chatter so hopefully he can get it done in an hour!

Fran1988

#8 Post by Fran1988 »

Hey MuleNag,

I got braced top and bottom yesterday. My appointment was at 1.50pm and i was home by 3pm. That included getting my front teeth reshaped and the talk about how to take care of my braces too. I think the actual time putting them on was about 35 - 45 mins (not too sure as i almost fell asleep lol) then 15 mins for the work on my front teeth. I only have 2 molar bands on at the top, the other two molars on the bottom, have had the hooks bonded on.. (I don't know if that is just me or everyone has this done?) so my ortho didn't have to spend long trying to find the correct bands. But as people have been saying it does depend on your treatment and your ortho, but if you are going both top and bottom metals tomorrow then it will more than likely be done in about 45 mins. Good Luck...let us know how it goes :D

jamie26

#9 Post by jamie26 »

It took over two hours when i got my braces put on. I have ceramic uppers and metal lowers. But the assistant and the ortho seemed really busy that day so i think that's part of why. It took a long time as some of the others said to find molar bands to fit. I have 4 and she just said it seemed my teeth were small for an adult. I think it all depends on the ortho, assistant, and your situation. Good luck! :D

Dark_angel

#10 Post by Dark_angel »

I got braced but i already had my molar bands fitted. It probably took about 30-45 minutes, it was a simple and easy process. Good luck, let your ortho know you need to leave by a certain time that way if time is short he can do 1 arch and do the other next time.

new boy james

#11 Post by new boy james »

Mine took about 45 minutes, and that included questions etc. - good luck!

MuleNag

#12 Post by MuleNag »

I'm braced!! They got done in 1 hr 10 mins. I easily made it to my other appt! *whew* Thanks for all the input!!

I can see how it could have taken longer...I only have brackets on my eye teeth and back...nothing on the front four, top and bottom...so if those would have been done I think I might have missed my other appt!