Medal or Clear?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Skinny

Medal or Clear?

#1 Post by Skinny »

:x Im Sooooooo MAD!
My Ortho Just called me and told me he isnt going to use the Damon braces. He said I can choose from clear or medal. I only have till the morning to decide. What should I choose? Im so mad and confused and only have hrs to make a diecion.
Please help with any advice you can offer. Thanks
Im 30 Female
TMD, Crowding, Overbite
Clear on top Medal on bottom
Beauitful smile wishes to Everyone!
Skinny

2XRound

Clear by a lip

#2 Post by 2XRound »

I don't know how you will brace up, but after I was braced I discovered, to my chagrin, that I had a hard time closing my lips. As a result my braces were on display almost all the time. I immediately developed a pout that made me very self conscious of my ugly metal brackets out front. I have rather full lips so the pout is accentuated by my ugly bite and corrective hardware. I changed orthos and it was tactfuly suggested that I might prefer clear brackets on my front teeth. I took the advice and had clear brackets applied. I feel much better about my appearance now, although there are clouds on my horizon as I about to get fitted with powerchains and elastics which I am told that I will have to wear for a good part of the rest of my treatment.
Looks are important and don't kid yourself, these baby's are noticeable. Good luck on your choice.
PS. wire tires are the least noticeable and hot pink ligs are the most fun. I think I will start with hot pink power chains to take my mind off the pain :)
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;124/st/20130308/e/Full+Braces+were+applied/k/91e6/event.png[/img]

[color=#0080FF]
[size=150]Alexandra (Alex)[/size][/color]

Raspberry

#3 Post by Raspberry »

If you want to see some pictures of both clear and metal brackets (I have clear on top, and metal on the bottom), you can look on this page of my brace story. viewtopic.php?t=9196&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
You may not get the same brand (mine are 3M Clarity on top), but it will give you some idea of what you might like. I have had a lot of friends comment on how much they wished that there were ceramic braces when they were in braces (back in their teens).
But the choice is ultimatly up to you, and your orthodontist.

pvarier

#4 Post by pvarier »

I have ceramics on the upper and I am glad because now that my teeth are straight they are barely noticeable. However they are slightly larger than the metal ones. I would definitely recommend ceramics.

Skinny

#5 Post by Skinny »

Oh Thank you so much! I go this am in a couple hrs to get them put on My husband said clear ones too. I think that is a good choice. My Ortho said it was up to me.
I just had my heart set on the Damon's but I need to focus on the point of all this and getting things fixed. Thanks so much for all your in put! You all are such a big help.
Im 30 Female
TMD, Crowding, Overbite
Clear on top Medal on bottom
Beauitful smile wishes to Everyone!
Skinny

violinist

clear

#6 Post by violinist »

I have a friend her name is Lucia Williams shes very short and she wears braces . she is around 50 years old, even thugh she don't look like it, shes so adorable, back to what i was saying, yes she is also my mom' s friend, nd I am lucky enough to have her as my school guidence counciler.She wears braces, the reason she wears them is because if she didn't her teeth would fall out and her teeth would cut into the roof of her mouth nd would cause her such pain and she had a bad overjet, horrific, she describes it to me.well yes she is a guidence counciler and got the braces not too long ago. she has the Clear Ceramic ones on the top, becuase she talks to people teenagers like every minute of everyday and she dicided to go with the clear ceramic kinds on her top row of teeth and the Traditional Steel metal kind on her bottom row . though she has the clear on top she didn't want them to be that visable, all her 9-1 (Freshmen Division 1 {that's her division only}) can tell and all know she wears braces as much as she didn't want ppl to see they all know. But even though she says she hates braces her end resuklt will be her keeping her teeth nd having them be perfect for her and no moore pain. which is good, she's too mice a person to have to go through that much pain.

Kittysopretty

#7 Post by Kittysopretty »

I have to finally admit....had I to do it over again I'd chose metal. Clear have been of no real benefit to me since I have had colored (pale pink thank you very much) power chains top and bottom for AGES now.

People have often stared at me asking "What is on your teeth?" Me: "Braces"
Person: "Those are braces???"

It has been annoying. Metal are cute. Also, my ortho told me AND showed me the difference in bulkiness between the 2. The ceramics are way bigger and project farther out. I have never really gotten used to it, sadly. *Note: Some people may have smaller ceramics on, etc. My ortho really wanted me to see the size difference before my choice. His metal brackets are super tiny.

The added frustration I had with staining ligs drove me insane. I then got wire ties which I highly recommend BUTTTTT....at best it looked like I had dill seeds stuck in my teeth. I basically paid an additional $400 for aggravation. (My top eight teeth are ceramic)

sedona

#8 Post by sedona »

I have ceramic on top & metal on the bottom.
For me, this has been an excellent choice.
Yes, the ceramic braces are visible.
However, they are not quite as visible as metal --
and for me that is a good thing.
For example, they are virtually invisible in photographs.
And for me, that is a good thing.
The metal on the lowers is more visible, but from a treatment perspective it was the appropriate choice.
I am almost at the end of my treatment.
And now, I would say either choice would have been fine.
Time really does fly.......
09/05 3m Clarity on Top
02/06 Victory Metals on Bottom
Estimated Treatment Time 18 Months