Spacing after Permanent Bottom Retainer?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mtbrncofn

#16 Post by mtbrncofn »

Aww, well that is kind of a disappointment, but at least you'll be getting it fixed and you'll be happy!

I'm curious as to why you don't have regular retainers as well as your bonded one?

Since you're getting your braces put back on, did you ask about your midline if that was bothering you too?
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

edgezbaby

#17 Post by edgezbaby »

i didnt know u were suppose to have a retainer on top of the bonded one. i just thought what he gave me was standard (removable top and bonded bottom)...and i didnt ask about the midline, should i have? i thought it was normal because my mom has naturally staight teeth and her midline isnt lined up but is it normally a concern?

mtbrncofn

#18 Post by mtbrncofn »

edgezbaby wrote:i didnt know u were suppose to have a retainer on top of the bonded one. i just thought what he gave me was standard (removable top and bonded bottom)...and i didnt ask about the midline, should i have? i thought it was normal because my mom has naturally staight teeth and her midline isnt lined up but is it normally a concern?
I would assume it would naturally be a concern, unless there is some underlying jaw or bite problem that fixing it would exacerbate. It's worth asking about since you are back in them anyway.

That's funny. I didn't know there were people that didn't get normal retainers. Like I mentioned before, I have a bonded retainer on top as well as Essix retainers for top and bottom.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

edgezbaby

#19 Post by edgezbaby »

yeah i did have jaw problems before, i had a paletal expander and wore a face mask on the top for about 6 months because i used to have and edge to edge underbite...but i will ask on tuesdayw hen i get my braces back on ...thanks

TinySmiley

Re: Spacing after Permanent Bottom Retainer?

#20 Post by TinySmiley »

unfortunatly, i am experiencing the same problem :(
My braces came off just 2 weeks ago and I noticed last night, while flossing, that I am getting spaces on my top teeth where the bonded retainer is. I didn't think that would happen because from what I understand the fixed retainer is there to prevent any movement. After reading this thread, i realize that is not always the case.
Invisalign: September 2009-May 2011
Ceramic Braces: May 2011-December 2011

kbp22

Re: Spacing after Permanent Bottom Retainer?

#21 Post by kbp22 »

I live in fear of this happening to me after the braces come off...I am a tongue thruster too and the plan is for bonded retainers on the backs of my upper and lower teeth. Initially, my ortho was talking 4 pre-molar extractions and I considered it, but decided against it because I was afraid that if my protruding front teeth were all pulled back that far, after braces I would just end up with big gaps on the sides among my molars due to my tongue not having enough space in my mouth and pushing the front 6 teeth forwards. Heck, I feel like it doesn't have enough space NOW....I can only imagine that with 4 fewer teeth I would totally end up with gaps! It is still a concern though.