Any of you teased about your teeth when you were younger??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

scottishgirl

#16 Post by scottishgirl »

I was teased too Gennel so i know how you must have felt. Kids can be really cruel and like you, i think it's affected the way i am as a person today. I have to say though, ever since i met my boyfriend 5 years ago, ive never felt so good about myself. He loves me so much just for being me and he makes me feel like i dont have to be ashamed of who i am. I told him recently that i was thinking about getting braces because i hate my smile so much and he said he's never even noticed them being crooked before! He's been so suppotive and told me to do what makes me happy. I dont think i could go through it without him but i know when i finally get them on he'll be there for me!

jaswi

#17 Post by jaswi »

I didn't get teased about my teeth during school, but for being a pudgy kid. At work however people make fun of my teeth, which I laugh off and say 'teeth can be fixed, ugly is forever.' Sometimes the teasing hurts, and sometimes it is just funny, being called a cross between a muskrat and mr. ed comes to mind.

Gennel

#18 Post by Gennel »

Yes I fixed that problem! She now has two cute brows. All the kids asked her for about two days " What happened to your eyebrows?" And now they dont tease her.
She's only nine but if I could save her from teasing ,it was worth it.
I hope her teeth dont shift too much when she gets bigger because I doubt we could pay for a third person! The total for my braces and my oldest daughter totalled $10,000!

Gennel

Avion19

#19 Post by Avion19 »

I was never teased by my classmates, but one of my teachers made little comments here and there. He would talk about bad teeth and would point me out or use me as an example, but he was a jerk. He didn't just tease me for my teeth, but he would tease people that were overweight, of other ethnicities, etc. I'm Asian so he would call me and my two friends, Ching, Chang, Chong, which offended me more than his talks about my teeth.

Gennel

#20 Post by Gennel »

Oh that teacher sounds like he was a real jerk! If anyone makes a comment about teeth , I always say that " Ugly is forever" it doesnt make me a better person for saying it but if it comes to it I wont be shy lol

Gennel

mackenzie

#21 Post by mackenzie »

Gennel wrote: I hope her teeth dont shift too much when she gets bigger because I doubt we could pay for a third person! The total for my braces and my oldest daughter totalled $10,000!

Gennel
Maybe you should take her to an ortho now and they could give her a retainer or something to keep them straight?

hannah164

#22 Post by hannah164 »

I was teased about my funky teeth when I was younger too! :( I had a really small mouth and too many teeth so my first ortho gave me a palate expander which gave me a huge gap between my two front teeth! :? Because I had so many baby teeth my ortho never braced them to close the gap! :shock: And with my overbite I had almost buck teeth with a huge gap! :cry:

One time this girl asked me when I was going to get braces because I really need them! :shock: She said I hate people who need braces but don't get them! :cry: I was so hurt because I wanted braces because I hated my smile but couldn't get them because none of my baby teeth would fall out! :?

Kids can be so cruel! :roll:

~Hannah :frogbraces:

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

New2Braces

#23 Post by New2Braces »

I was always called Stacey Dracula or Dracula's Daughter because of my front fangs. I had a teacher when I was in Grade 1 who said my teeth were awful. When I was 2 years old, I had an infection in my gums and all my teeth rotted and fell out :shock: People in my prep classes used to call me Gummy Shark and they'd tease me about the way I talked :cry: It brings back a lot of painful memories for me, but I am glad that I can actually talk about it now

Love, Stace xox

sharrsharrsheesheiya

Re:Teased About Braces & Teeth

#24 Post by sharrsharrsheesheiya »

Hey so many people I can relate to - WOW. ScottishGirl your bfriend sounds so much like mine, and I know I would be in despair over all this but for Simon's suport and his great ideas about how to get round probs caused by my headgear mostly. I found school teachers were mostly fine and my old form teacher was just really great and I remember he lectured our class over name-calling when I first wore my headgear in school. The French lady teacher was awful and I got mom to write a note complaining cos she made such a fuss cos I had real difficulty reading out loud in class and she said cruel things like ' if you were't wearing that cage on your mouth you could pronounce your French a lot better' !!! I guess I was always well prepared for teasing about braces cos when I was 9 dad was killed in a car smash and I was hurt and ended up losing some fingers so I got plenty of practice in being name-called cos I was a bit different. This place is so good and just sharing with everyone really helps a lot, great , love Sharrsharrsheesheiya
Sharrsharrsheesheiya,17yearsold,UK BracedTop&Bottom-13March2000 ElasicBands-22August2002 HeadGear-8January2004

invisagirl

#25 Post by invisagirl »

I was teased more in school for being overweight than for my "fangs" but quite a few of the kids I babysat for asked at some point why my two teeth stuck out.

2.6 years (30 months) with Invisalign plus 19 months 2 weeks with metal braces to achieve the perfect smile.

WhyMe?

#26 Post by WhyMe? »

That's great Gennel. My daughter is 10, same thing happened with her. Now she doesn't have to worry about it. $10k? Wow I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Grin&bareit73

#27 Post by Grin&bareit73 »

I was teased when I was younger for the gaps in my teeth, and had to hear all the witty "flossing with a 2X4" comments amongst others.

That I think is to be expected, because kids don't always know any better, and they're struggling with their own insecurities.

For me though, the worst thing was having adults (who should know better) making comments. I have been made fun of in the past by boyfriends and supposed friends. It seems that ignorant kids who aren't corrected when they're younger grow up to be even more ignorant adults.

It's ironic now though, because my gaps are all still there, and now there are brackets attached to them that make them more noticeable, but my insecurities are gone.

I think it's because i'm actively doing something about my teeth, and that good feeling in itself counteracts any rude comments made by people. My teeth are fixable, but unfortunately ignorance is often terminal....
[/url]

"Smile; if you can't lift the corners, let the middle sag..."

butterfly

#28 Post by butterfly »

Grin&bareit73 wrote:
  • now there are brackets attached to them that make them more noticeable, but my insecurities are gone

I can relate :D This is sooo true! The only time wacky teeth are something good is when you start braces and you show to everyone hey guys I am proud of it, I am brave, I got some money, and when I will be finished ll be even looking better than you. :) :)
Nov 2 05 braced, 1/1/07 debanded & got positioner

susieq182

#29 Post by susieq182 »

I was never picked on about my teeth. i guess people were way to busy focusing on my "coke bottle" glasses and knobby knees to take time to rib me about my teeth. I did have buck teeth but not bad ones. I always gave as good as I got though and most of my peers gave up picking on me because i didnt let it get to me. I know alot more now then I did way back then and the kids who were the meanest had the worst home lives. I guess they learn how to hurt others by being hurt. There is still a girl i went to school with who calls me 4-eyes I havent worn glasses for close to 10 years now since i was about 14 I have worn contacts.
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

cemeteryteeth

#30 Post by cemeteryteeth »

Starting in high school my "good" buddy referred to me as cemetery teeth because of the bad crowding on the lowers. It unfortunately stuck for a while causing me to smile just a bit differently going forward.

I can honestly say I am really excited about the whole process and look forward to smiling like I was 10 again.

Braces next Friday.