Curry

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

OnMyWay

Curry

#1 Post by OnMyWay »

I've seen so many posts about curry staining ligs so I have to ask. What the heck is curry? I've never heard of it.

Way Too Old For This

#2 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Wow Kiwi, thanks for the explanation. I always thought curry was a spice all by itself. I must admit I've only had curry dishes twice in my life, but I did like them.

I have seen 'curry powder' on the spice shelves. Do you use something like that or make your own?
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

nvcarissa

#3 Post by nvcarissa »

What the heck is curry?
Food of the Gods.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

I make my own mix too.

I mix turmeric (b*gger the staining), fennel seeds, cummin seeds, garam massala, fresh chopped ginger, chili, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods/seeds and one star anise, and stand my choice of meat or chicken (or fish) in this mix for 15 minutes. Then I chop an onion and a lot of garlic, fry it in olive oil, add the meat/chicken or fish, toss a can of tomatoes in, mix it all up and leave on low simmer. Walk away for an hour to an hour and a half (half an hour for fish) and when you return - voila. Use a firm fish e.g. tuna, spanish mackerel, etc. which doesn't disintegrate.

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

My pleasure, KK. May give yours a go too.

I've got chili con carne for tonight's dinner, just a reheat as I cooked it last night. I find reheating stuff like this (curry too) makes it scrub up even better than the first time. It's going to be an early dinner at this rate!

sjsarre

#6 Post by sjsarre »

We have some excellent Indian and Thai restaurants on Guernsey.. In fact my closest curry restaurant / takeway from my house is just a couple of minutes drive.. We are very spoilt over here. Curry / Thai and Chinese oh and fish and chip shop all within a few minutes!

I've had two curries and a chinese oh and Thai yesterday since having my brace on. I've noticed a bit of staining, but not that bad. Its really only noticable to me. I wouldn't expect people to start checking out the colour of the elastics when they see me!! It is always much more noticable when you are looking at it yourself... Just like when you get a spot. You think the whole world sees it before anything else..

:lol:

OnMyWay

#7 Post by OnMyWay »

Thanks everyone. It must be just a cultural difference that I've never heard of it. I would love to try it but I'm not sure I could find somewhere where it's sold (I wouldn't want to ruin myself on it by trying to make it myself the first time).

Way Too Old For This

#8 Post by Way Too Old For This »

OnMyWay wrote:Thanks everyone. It must be just a cultural difference that I've never heard of it. I would love to try it but I'm not sure I could find somewhere where it's sold (I wouldn't want to ruin myself on it by trying to make it myself the first time).
Same here. I need to taste it a few more times to make sure I'm doing it right. My daughter makes a lot of curry dishes, but I always thought she just "added curry" to them. Her and SIL were the ones who took me to an Indian food restaurant once, but they moved away and I couldn't drag my husband kicking and screaming. He's all meat and potatoes!

lionfish, I had never heard that expression "scrub up" relating to food, unless it was doing the dishes. You are referring to what I call "left overs' or "redos" aren't you? Sometimes I call them reruns. I like that though.....scrub up.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

lionfish

#9 Post by lionfish »

Way too old for this, you are pretty much spot on. "Scrub up" means that something that might otherwise be regarded as plain, becomes attractive with a little bit of effort.

If your husband is all meat and potatoes, try a meat based curry on him. You can chuck some potatoes in as well if you like.

flotsam

more about curry

#10 Post by flotsam »

lionfish: Darn! I thought "scrub up" in this case meant that if you ate reheated curry, it wouldn't stain your ligs as badly as a "fresh" curry dish. Wishful thinking, I guess.... :D

lionfish

Re: more about curry

#11 Post by lionfish »

flotsam wrote:lionfish: Darn! I thought "scrub up" in this case meant that if you ate reheated curry, it wouldn't stain your ligs as badly as a "fresh" curry dish. Wishful thinking, I guess.... :D
LOL!!

We should be so lucky, flotsam.

No, I've not tried scrubbing the dreaded fluorescent ligs yet. I've got an adjustment coming up on Monday, so hopefully they're not long for my world and I'll have lovely new white ones. At least until Monday night anyway. Ha ha!

I can hear them saying......"get coloured ligs..."

littleshaddies

#12 Post by littleshaddies »

I used to get so worried about eating curry and staining in the first 2 months or so. Then I went for colour and found that loved the red ligs as you can eat anything and not worry. Now I have to wear the long powerchain, the one that streches from one side to the other and over every bracket. My ortho only does them in clear or white to my dissapointment but I went for the white as it stains better. The clear one stains in patches and looks ugly when stained by curry and coffe. The white one, after a week of eating curry twice has stained so well that now is bright yellow. Honestly, it looks good. It is as if I had chosen the nice yellow powerchain, no patches of brownines at all. But I would still want red or pink tho :(
***can't wait to bite into an aple***
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]