How many times to floss your teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

poloaa

How many times to floss your teeth?

#1 Post by poloaa »

I tried to floss my teeth, it is sooooo hard and the teeth are so tight and they bleed right away, i just wonder how many times to floss the teeth or everytime after we eat the meal?? Thanks.

susieq182

#2 Post by susieq182 »

My ortho recomends atleast once a day. I think that is what most people who post here do. You havent had your braces very long it will get better in a few days your teeth will move and it wont be so tight, and your gums will feel better.
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

jcdamon3

#3 Post by jcdamon3 »

Paloaa:

I love your avatar. I like the quote: "Only floss the teeth you want to keep". I think once a day is enough. Your teeth will stop bleeding when you floss consistently.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

payoki

#4 Post by payoki »

I only brush twice a day and floss at night...I think I'm lazy compare to most of you but to my surprise my ortho says what a good job I'm doing in keeping up with cleaning regime???? hmm... :wink:
mother of one.

poloaa

#5 Post by poloaa »

Thanks for your help, i think i need a longggggggggggg time to finish flossing tonite :cry:

jcdamon3

#6 Post by jcdamon3 »

make sure to get some Crest threader floss or Oral-B SuperFloss. It makes life much easier.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

drazda

#7 Post by drazda »

I floss about once a week. :?
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

smilezofmetal2

#8 Post by smilezofmetal2 »

I know it does take a long time to floss thats why I did it in front of the t.v. that way I didnt focus too much on the time...

poloaa

#9 Post by poloaa »

Hey, thanks again for the messages, i did just floss after dinner, it takes soooo long, for about 15 mins. *!*smilez_of_metal, u dont 'need to look at the mirror when u floss your teeth because the dental floss has to go under the wire, u are very good :lol:
I feel okay w/my braces, except the expander on the roof of my mouth :(

Thanks, have a great weekend everyone.
35 years old, mom of two
Est. treatment time:16 months

Flora2006

#10 Post by Flora2006 »

Yeah flossing is annoying and is time consuming. 15 minutes is pretty good actually ;) I spent forever flossing my teeth in the beginning...definitely longer than 15 minutes!

It will take you a shorter time once you really get into the routine...but like everyone here said...once a day is enough. You don't need to floss after every meal...brushing after every meal is fine.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

lionfish

#11 Post by lionfish »

Hi Poloaa,

The flossing gets easier with time. I do it once a day, after dinner, and I've got it down to about 5 minutes maximum.

josephine

#12 Post by josephine »

Every day every day every day! I too brush usually just a couple of times a day and then floss once I day, and I too always get comments from the ortho and dentist on how clean my teeth are. As reinforcement one assistant added that the stuff left between your teeth basically turns to acid within 24 hours, which is why flossing *daily* is so very important. I use the threader floss on the braces part and waxed regular on the unbraced teeth at the back. Works great.

tofino

Floss

#13 Post by tofino »

Hi.

Allow me to repeat my rant that some company should get off its buttocks and make Superfloss except using waxed floss or waxed tape. Or maybe it requires divine intervention to make such a thing happen, or at least a company that is interested in making a few more dollars. I'm waiting for capitalism to work on this one.

Oh yeah, I floss once per day or if I'm lazy every other day, but I also waterpick and rinse with Oral-B Anti cavity.

Cheers

Glen

sjsarre

#14 Post by sjsarre »

Its funny, i've never flossed my teeth. Mainly because they were so crowded there was no way I was getting floss in there. I told my ortho that I don't floss and also the hygenist. They said I was doing a really good job better than most who do floss.

I will no doubt use it once my teeth are less crowded.

I've read through lots of posts but would like to know which one is your favourite??

poloaa

#15 Post by poloaa »

I struggle to floss the molar teeth because my hooks will hurt my lips a bit when i stretched my mouth too big.
It really takes a long time to floss all the teeth. :(
35 years old, mom of two
Est. treatment time:16 months