having an exam 3 days after getting braced..any suggestions?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

catu

having an exam 3 days after getting braced..any suggestions?

#1 Post by catu »

What do you guys think, will it be possible for me to do well in my exam which is three days after getting braced? I mean, is it possible that by then my teeth won't be feeling sore and I can concentrate on my exam instead of my teeth? Or should I cancel my appointment and make a new one ? I really don't know what to do.. :(

catu

KathleenH

#2 Post by KathleenH »

I am a wimp, and I too easily focus on pain. I know I wouldn't have been able to concentrate well enough for an exam that soon after being braced. Plus, eating well that soon is difficult, and you want to be well-nourished. I'd reschedule and get the braces a few days later.
Kathleen

Surgery survivor

catu

#3 Post by catu »

hmm.. I'm not sure about that.. 2 more exams will be coming up and then the whole thing would move to somewhere June.. That's also the reason why I just can't make up my mind.. :?
ps, I think I'm a wimp, too. :P

catu

Skinny

#4 Post by Skinny »

Well its been 3 days sence I was braced and Im a BIG Wimp! I have lost 5 lbs in 3 days and Im shaky and hungry and these things pulling hard on my teeth are driving me bonkers! :-+ I cant think of anything but them right now. But my frount teeth dont hurt or even bother me at all they are mostly stright, My bottom are crowed and they are killing me! So if you have crowding or turned teeth I would wait. June will be here before you know it, If you want to risk it and see how you feel, Because we all feel difrent then I wish you all the luck!
Im 30 Female
TMD, Crowding, Overbite
Clear on top Medal on bottom
Beauitful smile wishes to Everyone!
Skinny

jennandtonic

#5 Post by jennandtonic »

Thinking back, even though my first week was uncomfortable, I could easily have passed an exam. It was the eating part that posed some difficulty! I wouldn't make it too big of a deal in your mind. If you do, I think you'll end up being worse off.

I go to college, and didn't skip any classes the week I got braces. I just went like normal, studied like normal. I don't recall if I had tests or not.

ssfw

#6 Post by ssfw »

Hi catu,

Delaying getting braces by a few weeks won't make a big difference for your ortho treatment. Because there is always a chance you may encounter pain/discomfort when you first get your braces placed, I would delay it until after all of your exams are done. I feel a person should choose a date that will work best for him/her when they get their braces, but everyone is different. I delayed getting my braces by three weeks because I had already scheduled a few things and didn't want the chance of having alot of discomfort when I first get braces. I will be getting my braces on 5/19/06 and am getting more nervous and excited as it gets closer to the date.

Do what you feel is best for you and I think this usually makes the placement of the braces less stressful.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

catu

#7 Post by catu »

Thank you so much everyone.
A special thanks to KK :) The thing is, that I didn't thinks about it at all before, but after reading stories here, I started to worry about my exam. I think I'll be fine. My friends say that I'm one tough girl. Well, I couldn't possibly let them see that they're wrong, now could I? :wink:

catu

catu

#8 Post by catu »

I really hope so, KK :D