Dental assistant nightmare

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gemini

Dental assistant nightmare

#1 Post by gemini »

It has been a while since I last posted here.

And since then, I learned to dislike a certain assistant, who is just plain rude and incompetent. I need to vent, and I need advice.

First, when I first had my brackets installed, the ortho. told the assistant to put some cement on my mollars to prevent me from bitting the braces. The assistant did that. It was horrible, I couldn't close my mouth and chewing was a challenge, but I didn't think much of it until the cement on one side fell off.
Then, I called then and asked if I should come in to have it replaced. The assistant said "No, it won't interefere with the treatment." So I didn't. But night after night my tooth (with the cement) kept hitting the top one and waking me up. It must have been from increased pressure, since now there was only one mount of cement to hold my mouth "open". It got to a point where I couldn't stand anymore, unable to eat, to sleep without waking up in the middle of the night...

So I call again. And she is quick to dismiss me. I tell my husband what is going on, he calls and demands to talk to the ortho., who isn't there, so we make an appointment. When I get there, the assistant looks at me and goes: -sigh- "What is wrong NOW?" :roll:

And I tell her: "I just want to talk to the orthodontist, that is all." So she goes and gets the ortho. I tell him what was happening, and while he is looking at the cement, the assistant says to the ortho "it just needs another one on the other side". But he decides to take the cement off. Now I am happy and relieved. The assistant is annoyed.

Next appointment get a different assistant.
The office has two orthos., the one I signed up for (let's say ortho-1) and the other guy (ortho-2). I get the ortho-2, but no problems.

Then today's appointment. I get the "ortho-2" again.
The ortho-2 is telling the assistant what he wants. Change wire on top, keep wire on the bottom, powerchain 1-1, etc. She says "You know what would be helpful? Write down everything you want us to do" and walks away while the ortho is dictating. I find that amusing, but whatever. She comes back and change the wires. She didn't put power chains anywhere, or any of the other things the ortho. said. I don't notice that until I get home.

So I am home, and the wire is sticking out poking the inside of my cheek. I am already upset, now I have to drive all the way back to the office to have that wire trimmed down. Great. :x I go there, ortho-1 is now there. He cuts the wire. I don't say anything to ortho-1 about what happened with ortho-2, about power chains, etc., because the assistant was in the room on the next chair also.

Everything is fine, except that everytime I get that assistant it gets on my nerves, I have to keep going back to have things fixed, or she is rude, sometimes both. My problem is... The appointments are based on time, so whoever assistant is free at that time gets the patient, so requesting a diff. assistant won't work. Talking to the ortho about the assistant is tricky, because she is the daughter of ortho-1!

What can I do?
How can I tell my ortho. that his daughter is rude and incompetent without ruining everything? :?:

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

Yikes! If the assistant is the daughter of the ortho, you got a problem. Alot of offices are run with multiple assistants. Can you ask at the front desk before you go into the chair that you don't want that assistant? Perhaps she can hand your chart to someone else DISCREETLY without the annoying one knowing anything happened. Hopefully, the receptionist isn't a relative also. :roll: IF that doesn't work, I think its time to make a special call to the ortho in private and let him know how you feel and what happened.

Its a shame that some people just don't belong in any kind of public service job because they don't have any people skills just like this assistant. Maybe her dad feels sorry for her knowing she couldn't get a job anywhere else. :lol:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

Okay you really need to speak to your orthos. If you aren't too comfortable with Ortho 1...because the assistant is the daughter, you NEED to speak to Ortho 2.

That is just plain ridiculous. I think that the assistant is just taking advantage of the fact she's a daughter and so she thinks she won't get in trouble or anything...but you need to speak to the orthos and let them know how she is!

You are paying SO much money for this. You ARE to get excellent treatment and help when you request information and guidance.

Good luck and really...go have a talk with them. They need to know these things because if you are getting this kind of behaviour from her...others are too.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

ssfw

#4 Post by ssfw »

I agree with Flora2006. You're a patient in that office and should be treated with respect, in addition to what Flora2006 said, you paid alot of money and deserve to be treated well. Hopefully the problem will be resolved because I'm sure you're not the only patient she is rude to. In reference to the other assistant, not placing the appliances as requested by the ortho can delay your ortho treatment, so not saying anything doesn't help you in any way. My orthodontist always looks at the work done by the assistant before I leave the office. Maybe this is something you might suggest your ortho do in the future.

Good luck.

ssfw
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

gemini

#5 Post by gemini »

Maybe her dad feels sorry for her knowing she couldn't get a job anywhere else. :lol:
LOL, I think you may be right on that one... :)

I don't know, I don't want to be a trouble-maker or anything. It is just such a sticky situation. I guess I will try to talk to the other orthodontist (who is not the assistant's dad) and see what happens, although I am not very enthusiastic about the idea :x and remind myself to always have the ortho. check the assistant's work before I leave.

momof2grlz

Re: Dental assistant nightmare

#6 Post by momof2grlz »

Wow! I can tell you without any hesitation if an assistant ever spoke to my ortho like that, she would be out looking for another job before the day was over. I guess she must not be worried about job security since she's the ortho's daughter. I'm like the other posters. You are paying good money for a service and deserve to be treated with respect. Daughter or not, I'd speak to the ortho about the way she has spoken to you. If she's doing it to you, she's doing it to other patients, too. It won't be an easy conversation, but you are paying her salary and deserve to be treated properly.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

jcdamon3

#7 Post by jcdamon3 »

Someone needs to explain to that assistant how detrimental an unbalanced bite can be. I can't even imagine what a pain those cement buildups must be... all I can imagine is the pain upon awakening when you have been clenching down like I do at night and all the pressure is on one side! This is how alot of us got into trouble in the first place. The amount of pressue your teeth can exert is tremendous. When your bite is not balanced it is double!

I am lucky when I call my ortho, if there is trouble, I don't speak to an assistant or the ortho, I just talk to the receptionist and she just finds an opening for me. There is not ever any questions asked.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Gennel

#8 Post by Gennel »

OMG , I totally agree with Flora. You are spending alot of $$$$ for a service and I dont think you are getting it. Sometime when you complain ,things don't change and you get the same assistant and she is even nastier! But I think you should talk to your ortho and explain to him that it's not just been one time that she's acted this way. Tell him about each negative experience,her obnoxious remarks etc.. You might be surprised that several people that work with her will most likely agree with you and tell you in a nice way" Yeah we know she's not the sweetest assistant ...." I would deffinately ask the front desk to call you up when another assistant is free. Even though you might wait an extra 30 minutes it will be so worth the wait. I will not trust my mouth to an idiot. I basically consider my consult with any ortho or dentist as an interview. I can tell if someone is going to be a jerk and doesnt reallly care. That was the reason why I basically asked the last dentist that I wanted to be reffered to someone else.
Don't hesitate to speak to the ortho about this situation. I think you deserve the best treatment because you are paying for it! Let us know what happens.

Gennel

missing_tooth

#9 Post by missing_tooth »

Wow, it's amazing what some people will do/say/treat a customer. Customers should be treated like gold.

As for problem resolution, my self I suggest you stick with ortho 2 if you can. If neither off these are working for you, go somewhere else. While you may have pre-paid, or signed a contract, you have may have to have a talk with them regarding your treatment and your desire to go else where. It will probably end up costing you more money but find someone you are completely comfortable.

- Missing Tooth -

storeyrich

#10 Post by storeyrich »

Where I go, the ortho "owns" the business any pays everyones wages, however there is a "practice manager" that's on reception, who if I had a niggle I'd probably talk to her. Is there anything similar where you are?

I'm lucky that my ortho does ALL of the work. He's done all of the adjustments/wire changes/powerchains/etc etc etc. That's with two assistants nearby. It tends to be that they prepare what he needs, pass him tools, fuss around the patient offering mouthwash etc. Plus, he takes no rubbish off them (in fact I get the impression they are expected to read his mind sometimes! which certainly boosts productivity).

Bear with it. You've paid good £, so you're entitled to some kind of good service!

Rich

Dark_angel

#11 Post by Dark_angel »

Hi rich, nice to see someone else from around here, shame about the reiny wearther today tho.

My ortho (well dental hospital) is the same as yours, the ortho does all of the work with the assistant doing the passing of tools and equipment. The assistant has set a couple of my brackets on in the past.

If i was dissatisfied i would make it known but thats just me. I believe if your paying for a service it should be what you expect. I know the situation is akward and you could always write a letter making it more discrete. You dont even have to put your name on if you dont want to.

Pirate Wench

#12 Post by Pirate Wench »

I really like the letter idea. :D I am not the type of person that likes to have confrontation and I really try to avoid it. I think an unsigned letter would work for the initial complaint. In the complaint letter I would suggest that they ask patients of Ortho #1 about the service from that assistant. If they actually do what you suggest, then you will be able to voice your opinion openly with the ortho.
If that doesn't work then you will have to talk to the ortho (whichever you choose) and let them know.

I would definately ask the receptionist to call me back when the other assistant is available.

bbsadmin

#13 Post by bbsadmin »

You could write an anonymous letter. That way you won't feel embarrassed and it would get their attention.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!