how often do you take x-rays???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sportsgrl97

how often do you take x-rays???

#1 Post by sportsgrl97 »

Hey..... I was wondering how often you take x-rays while you are in braces because the last time I had x-rays done was over a year ago at my consultation and since then i have had a palate expander and braces but now the expander is out. Is this normal?

TuZZi

#2 Post by TuZZi »

I haven't had any X-Rays taken since I was still in the consultation phase, a year and a half ago now. I guess this is normal.... or else we're both out of the loop!
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

sjsarre

#3 Post by sjsarre »

I also think from the first lot of xrays they do, that they discover any potential problems there and decide whether to take xrays throughout your treatment. My xrays were done over a year ago and he said my teeth were very healthy. BUT, my son has had xrays.. He is going to the hospital to have more. But when he has his brace on, because he had trauma to his two top front teeth a few years ago, they will want to xray throughout the treatment to ensure the roots remain healthy..

genxsis

#4 Post by genxsis »

At my last cleaning/exam, my dentist wouldn't even do an x-ray, even though I was scheduled for one. He said that it wouldn't be able to show anything because of all the metal of the braces! Seems strange to me!
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

alexa

#5 Post by alexa »

My ortho did xrays before I got braces, then again after I hit my one year anniversary.

My dentist wouldn't do any xrays, because as mentioned above, they said there would be little point with all of the metal.

Orthodontists and dentists are looking for different things in xrays. Orthos look for root positions and alignment, dentists look for cavities.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

genxsis

#6 Post by genxsis »

Aha! That explains it! My dentist may have told me that, but I don't remember.
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

Flora2006

#7 Post by Flora2006 »

Same here. When I had my cleaning last month, my hygienist said that in 4 months when I come for another cleaning and a check up, I should be getting x-rays done but that my dentist will probably not take them because he won't be able to see between the teeth because of all the metal and all.

My ortho did say that I will be getting x-rays done a year into my treatment to make sure everthing with my roots is going well.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Carmella

xray

#8 Post by Carmella »

I'm getting panoramic xray at my next adjustment. I've been braced since Feb10, 2005. I'm nearing the final stages of my treatment, so hopefully my teeth's position will be satisfactory for my ortho.

genxsis

#9 Post by genxsis »

So how often are panoramic x-rays done normally? I had one at the beginning of my treatment, but nothing was said about if or when it would be done again.

drazda

#10 Post by drazda »

Let me get this right... xrays can't be done during braces to check for cavities? I had xrays done a month ago to check for cavities, the ortho said I had none.
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

jcdamon3

#11 Post by jcdamon3 »

I got my panoramic x-rays when I got my braces and I believe my Ortho sent them to my dentist. I only normally have x-rays by my dentist every two years so I am hoping to be out of braces before I need another x-ray. I am having another panoramic soon to see where my roots are but they won't be looking for cavities or anything. I'll be relieved though if I get a great report from the Ortho that the roots are happy
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

tkais

#12 Post by tkais »

I had x-rays takenjust prior to braces and again at one year with braces and I will probably get an x-ray after braces are removed.