A question about fillings...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dark_angel

#1 Post by Dark_angel »

At least you have a dentist! I got kicked out of my practise when they changed to private in november even though as an under 18 im entitled to free nhs treatment which they are providing but cus my parents arent private patients there i had to leave :( Ive only just got registered with a new dentist after alot of trying and my appointment isnt untill august.

Anyway some of my teeth with metal filings in do look a bit grey-ish but thats only the top back teeth which you cant see and i wouldnt have noticed if i wasnt so obsessed with my teeth.

Good luck with getting those fillings to stay in there.

RabbleRouser

#2 Post by RabbleRouser »

I had several old metal fillings replaced with white composite and a few of them are still visible (gray). Guessing that the old filling material was too deep to remove safely.

Shawnie

#3 Post by Shawnie »

Hi Lucy,

I too had one silver filling replaced with a tooth colored composite. It is a baby molar on the top. I never really noticed until this whole brace thing started but there is a little part of it that is darker. I guess sometimes it's hard to get out all of the old silver. Especially with me where it was a baby tooth and they didn't want to dig too deep and jeopardize the tooth.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, like you said your probably won't see it once the gap closed.

Shawnie
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06

ItsGavinC

#4 Post by ItsGavinC »

RabbleRouser wrote:I had several old metal fillings replaced with white composite and a few of them are still visible (gray). Guessing that the old filling material was too deep to remove safely.
If a dentist is going to remove a filling he is going to typically remove all of it. Leaving an old filling and placing a new filling over the top of it is a recipe for disaster. My numer #1 rule when removing fillings is that I remove ALL of it, even if I can't get to it very safely.

Most likely the amalgams leaked a bit causing the tooth to turn gray. That is quite common, especially in large fillings.