Crown work

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

krooner

Crown work

#1 Post by krooner »

Hi it's me again! I had consults with two orthos and I'm thinking of getting braces just on my top teeth. I have some bad old fillings on top and bottom and my dentist is working on doing crowns on me. Both orthos said the crown work shouldn't interfere with the braces, but, the last one told me I might want to wait until the braces are off to get one on the top done (it was the one we were going to do next). Anyone have any experience with this? I know I need to talk to my dentist and the ortho but I was just wondering if anyone could share any experience. Thanks in advance,

Gracie

jas_2008

#2 Post by jas_2008 »

I'd say braces first then the crown, if your situation allows... check with your dentist. I have a crown in the front and am having a hard time to get the bracket glued to it. as a matter of fact the bracket has fallen off three times in nearly two months, because the glue (even the special ones) just doesn't work well with a porcelain crown. very frustrating.

Good luck!

poloaa

#3 Post by poloaa »

I got one crown on my right bottom first molar and they skipped putting anything there.
35 years old, mom of two
Est. treatment time:16 months

josephine

#4 Post by josephine »

I think it will also depend on where the crown is and how hard it would be to work around the braces relative to the crown. And I'm told there are different adhesives for use with porcelain crown and with gold crowns. I have one weird tooth with both porcelain and gold on it, and that just was too complicated. After three brackets popped off, they just banded the tooth (it's in back).
Also keep in mind that as your bite changes with the braces, the wear on your crown could change too. That might be an additional reason to wait if the problem isn't too urgent.