Springs??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Henna_the_braceface

#16 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

maybe the ortho wants to use a different method to close extraction gaps, like looping wires or something :?:

JenB

#17 Post by JenB »

My ortho has only ever used power chains and it's been 3.5 years since my teeth extractions.... I asked her once about closing loops and she had a reason for not using them at the time (something about my teeth moving inward)...

TuZZi

Re: springs

#18 Post by TuZZi »

JenB wrote:Does anyone know of any reason why and ortho would not want to use springs to close extraction gaps?
It all depends on your bone structure I would imagine. Maybe for some people, the springs are strong enough or move things slowly enough for most people to handle. Another reason for not using them might be that wire ties work better with the type of braces used or another type of gap closer that I'm not even aware of.

I'm guessing it has more to do with the type of braces you have, and how your bones will adapt to the moving teeth.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6100
Full On Metal! Aug 31, 2005
4 Bicuspids extracted Sept 26-27 2005
Disbanded n loving it - June 12, 2007!

sjsarre

#19 Post by sjsarre »

In my case my teeth do need to move inwards a bit so maybe the springs do that aswell.. I'll ask my ortho when I see him the reasons behind it and post back...

Henna_the_braceface

#20 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

do springs hurt?

luxekitty

#21 Post by luxekitty »

Henna_the_braceface wrote:do springs hurt?
My 2 springs on the bottom are hurting, it's not horrible pain though. But I am a lot more sore then I normally am after a regular adjustment.

------

I wish my ortho would've put springs on the top as well to close my extraction gaps. =/ I believe he's concerned about bone structure though since I have had clef palette issues.
Braces off 9/19/08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Henna_the_braceface

#22 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

so im guessing it will be double the pain with 4 springs? oh dear...

TuZZi

#23 Post by TuZZi »

Henna_the_braceface wrote:so im guessing it will be double the pain with 4 springs? oh dear...
Honestly, my actual teeth didn't hurt from the springs very often... it was my cheeks that felt the wrath of them instead. The springs I had were kind of right on the corners of my smile, so anytime I talked, smiled, or laughed, the springs would grate against my cheeks, and quite often made them quite raw.

Wax is a wonderful thing, but wax doesn't stay on springs, so I devised a way of putting enough wax on the brackets surrounding the springs, that my cheeks stuck our farther there than anywhere else, so my cheeks weren't even near the springs. Weren't that is... until I wore the wax long enough that the force of me talking all day pushed the wax flat.

Henna_the_braceface

#24 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

how long did you have springs for?

TuZZi

#25 Post by TuZZi »

My springs were installed for 6 months. I got them installed a week after my 4 extractions, and got them taken out 2 adjustments ago, once the extraction sites were closed enough for wire ties instead.

Willz

#26 Post by Willz »

I have one spring right in front down the bottom. I have no idea what it is doing, I really need to learn to ask more questions lol. Its not hurting or rubbing atm, wait and see what happens.

Henna_the_braceface

#27 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

wow willz you've got your springs on pretty early!

Seesa_In_Braces

#28 Post by Seesa_In_Braces »

same here! I have extraction gaps that have not closed up yet too! How come i dont have springs?
This is bunny. Put him in your signature so he can gain world domination. Thank you.
()()
(||)
(u )O
o o
*Is there anyone out there, is there anyone out, all I need are the details and a map of your heart.*

Henna_the_braceface

#29 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

Seesa_In_Braces wrote:same here! I have extraction gaps that have not closed up yet too! How come i dont have springs?
maybe your ortho is focusing on your other teeth rather than the extraction gaps... i have 4 extraction gaps that haven't closed yet... but I'm getting springs in July.