Exercise and braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

robinhodge

Exercise and braces

#1 Post by robinhodge »

I have noticed that there is more pressure from my braces on my teeth during exercise. Has anyone else experienced this? Especially during weightlifting and I am not gritting or clenching my teeth during it either that I know of.

lionfish

Re: Exercise and braces

#2 Post by lionfish »

robinhodge wrote:I have noticed that there is more pressure from my braces on my teeth during exercise. Has anyone else experienced this? Especially during weightlifting and I am not gritting or clenching my teeth during it either that I know of.
I log around 12 kms in the pool every week. When you swim, you open and close your mouth and spit water.... a lot. At first, the braces felt like they were tearing up the inside of my mouth, but that's toughened up now. I don't feel any additional pressure though. I'm planning on going back to the bike studio so will see if that kind of exercise is any different vis a vis braces.

nykol77

#3 Post by nykol77 »

Robinhodge, I totally feel that pressure when lifting weights too!!

It's got to be that we clench when muscles contract without realising??

Gald to hear that I'm not alone!! :lol:
nick
braced Dec 7th 2004

boxerinno

#4 Post by boxerinno »

i felt pressure from my braces for a month or so after i got my braces. in the beginning the pressure was so high that only cold water helped me to ease up this discomfort. and yeah, i don't remember clenching my teeth either.
i have actually forgotten all about that by now, but yes, we al had that.
8)
citius altius fortius

sjsarre

#5 Post by sjsarre »

Hi

I definately agree that there is more pressure. Its because you clench or tighten your jaw whilst you are exercising and whilst you wouldn't normally notice it when out of braces it feels much more enhanced when you wear braces.

I am a fitness fanatic. Exercise 5 or 6 times a week for up to two hours each time. It took me a few weeks to get back into the swing of exercising once I had my braces on as the pressure was quite intense and my mouth was always dry.

But now I have become accustomed to it and it doesn't bother me. Although at my adjustment recently I had three days off because it was a bit painful!

I'm having springs put on soon. I wonder if I will be in the same position again once they in place!

lionfish

#6 Post by lionfish »

Thanks for the leg up on the bike exercise, linda21. Yep, bit of an exercise fanatic here, too. It's interesting what you say about the added impact of elastics, something that is in my very near future.

I'm also a keen recreational scuba diver and - for the life of me - I can't figure out how I'm going to go diving with a mouth full of elastics.

Dark_angel

#7 Post by Dark_angel »

Lionfish, you dont scuba with elastics in, you take them out.