Help! Stained my powerchain, oops!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jaynage

Help! Stained my powerchain, oops!

#1 Post by jaynage »

Hello all!
I'm from Queensland Australia, and had my braces on since mid-February. This is my first post here, though I've been visiting this site and reading through posts for quite some time.

So yes, to the problem at hand - I have a silver/gray powerchain over my ceramics, which is now a delightful shade of yellow after having eaten curry for dinner. Any tips or tricks on how to make the colour less obvious? It's a few weeks until my next adjustment, so any help would be appreciated!

Leslie022

#2 Post by Leslie022 »

I have no suggestions but wow, I didn't know you could stain a silver powerchain! :)
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

Hello from Sydney, Jaynage. Another curry lover here with ceramics/white (or should I say green?) ligs.

Nice to know that the baking soda toothpaste can reduce the staining. Might try that in future. I've gone 4 days without a curry since they gave me shiny new white ligs (someone take my temperature :shock: )

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

I doubt I'll last the week without one. I've just restocked the spice cupboard as well.

But I am coping...I've got a really fiery hummus for lunch (I think I overdid the chili).

Keep us posted on any lig colour changes from curry.

jaynage

#5 Post by jaynage »

Thanks, I'll grab some from the supermarket tonight and see how I go!
I had read on the site that the smoky silvers and grays don't tend to stain, so I especially requested this colour from my ortho. In all fairness, he DID warn me to stay away from foods like curry, but I decided to take the risk anyway!
A few people today said they couldn't really notice the yellow tinge, so maybe I'll just wait it out.

Daisydoll31

Re: Help! Stained my powerchain, oops!

#6 Post by Daisydoll31 »

Did anyone find any solutions to this? I just got mine on and didn't know and ate tumeric and now they are bright yellow! I have brushed many times and still bright yellow. Help!

angelina

#7 Post by angelina »

Daisydoll31 wrote:Did anyone find any solutions to this? I just got mine on and didn't know and ate tumeric and now they are bright yellow! I have brushed many times and still bright yellow. Help!
Mine stained and I used a whitening mouthwash nightly until the stains disappeared. No idea if this is recommended or not but it worked! I doubt it will make a significant enough difference to 'whiten' my teeth for when the brackets are off, I just wanted the stains gone!

Daisydoll31

#8 Post by Daisydoll31 »

Ok, I have crest white strip on it right now and hopefully that will help. It's been 15 minutes and still pretty bright. If all else fails I am going to colour it pink and just go with it ; )

bbsadmin

#9 Post by bbsadmin »

Unfortunately, once ligatures or power chains are stained, there's really nothing you can do about it except to get them changed. Believe me, in the many years I've been running this forum, people have tried everything and nothing has worked!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

midtownlwl

#10 Post by midtownlwl »

what other foods are staining?

lambchop

#11 Post by lambchop »

Curry and anything with tumeric, like mustard...I never had a problem with spaghetti sauce or red wine or any other food (and believe me, I ate plenty of tomato products and drank lots of red wine over my almost five year sentence!)