Dont Boil Your Mouthguard

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kazan

Dont Boil Your Mouthguard

#1 Post by Kazan »

Under the list of things I wished I known now comes "dont boil your mouthguard". Had started wearing it at night to reduce the pain of clenching my upper and lower teeth together. After a few nights thought I'd better clean it because it was beginning to look at little the worse for wear. Anyway, I put it in boiling water for about 5 minutes to kill any germs and when I tried to put it on that night found it had distorted and bent so that it no longer fitted round the teeth. I put it on anyway as best I could and woke up this morning to find it gone. I cant quite believe I have swallowed a whole mouthguard - although I had a good hunt for it so...............

Braces, mouthguards...........what next.......bed socks........

rsprouse

#2 Post by rsprouse »

Hi Kazan,

Most "plastic" oral appliances are made by heating up the material until it becomes sticky/pliable and then pulling the material over a model of your arch and activating a large suction tube to pull the material flush against the model. As you have found out, heat will change the shape of the appliance. In the future, a good brushing is the best way to clean it. You can try soaking it in mouthwash, but it will stain the mouth guard.

Good Luck,
Rory

Kazan

#3 Post by Kazan »

Thanks Rory. Will follow your advice!

fins

#4 Post by fins »

I soak mine in mouthwash. It's green so the color isn't changed by it. I often lose my mouthguard during the night. I just hope I don't grind my teeth when it falls out.

Do you use your mouthguard with elastics?

mtbrncofn

#5 Post by mtbrncofn »

Holy smokes!!! You swallowed it? That's not gonna feel good coming out. :shock:
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#6 Post by nahky »

LOL. did you really swallow it? how on earth did you manage that? :D

I thought with mouthguards, you are meant to boil them, then take them out and quickly bite into them so that they fit into the mouth perfectly. thats whats done for sports mouthguards.
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

kirst1583

#7 Post by kirst1583 »

I thought with mouthguards, you are meant to boil them, then take them out and quickly bite into them so that they fit into the mouth perfectly. thats whats done for sports mouthguards.
Yeah - that's only the ones bought from the chemist though. If you get one proper made then you definitely don't put boiling water on it!

Clo

#8 Post by Clo »

Lol !

Uhmmm, I guess after boiling it, it was in some kind of molecular
transient unstable situation. It must have vaporized shortly after that.
Now, it is in a gas state and escaped the room ...

Oh sorry, couldn't resist. Your post gave me a good laugh though.
Thanks for this nice post !