Attn: Missing_tooth, and all that replied and read my post.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

eaglesoaring

Attn: Missing_tooth, and all that replied and read my post.

#1 Post by eaglesoaring »

"Here we go again." ???? Wow...that smarted right in my brain. Isn't that what this website is for...to work through this decision? To get support from people that have been there? That's what I'm doing. Or at least trying to. Why would you post something like that?

Kiwi...thanks for sticking up for me...you have been incredibly helpful, as have all of the other kind people that replied. Thank you so much.

I have decided to wait until I get one more consult (possibly two). I'm going to see an Ortho that fits MOSTLY Damon's. I'm excited to hear what he has to say. (So, I won't be getting braced on May 23rd). My consult with Damon's guy isn't until June 21st.

Thank you to all of the people with patience for the Newbies.
s

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

Just to give you a little history about the "here we go again" comment. Not that I feel that it was a nice thing to say or anything. :-)

We get in debates all the time on this board about what is better, self ligating (damons, etc), metal alone or metal/ceramic combos. We always end up defending our choices which ends up sort of putting down other people's choices. I think someone put it very succinctly when they said we are all happy with our choices. There are so many pros and cons to each type of bracket that they all pretty much are on a level playing field in the end.

You are doing the right thing by getting more consults. I didn't do that and just ended up getting really lucky. I did research the different types of brackets and believe the marketing info on the damons sold me.

Now I am doing that with heating and cooling systems with my house. It's hard to get away from!

Best of luck to you! And welcome to the board!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

purple

#3 Post by purple »

Hey, i didnt know there even ARE different types of braces!

The ortho said that my options were ceramic or metal and no more.

she said the ceramic wouldnt be suitable for the amount of movement i need....so she fitted metal brackets (which I now know from the this site they are the self ligating type) ...i was looking at the pics of other people and wondering why I dont have the ligatures!!!! :oops:

jcdamon3

#4 Post by jcdamon3 »

I didn't really know about the different types of brackets either until my first consult and the ortho showed me the damons (self ligating). I went home and researched it and thought - okay cool! I really had my heart set on ceramic on the top teeth. I changed my mind when I did the research and in the end didn't care that much about how the braces looked. Alot of people don't even look at me anyway! :-) My consults and braces all happened very fast because my ortho was not booked solid and I wanted to get it over with before I chickened out and changed my mind!
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

eaglesoaring

#5 Post by eaglesoaring »

JC and Purple,

Hey! Thanks for clearing up the "Here we go again". It kind of rubbed me the wrong way, but that's alright. When I believe in something strongly, as I'm sure many of you all do (in your bracket/braces choices), I like to voice my opinon as well, so I can certainly understand that. Plus, for people that have had their braces for a while, and have already been through the "decision making process", I'm sure it's a bit frustrating to see a Newbie like me trying to figure it out, because you've already been there, and you might have different, more painful/serious concerns at your point in the braces process. So, again, I appreciate all of the replies, and patience with me. As I've said before, I know I'll laugh at all the worry I put into this...but I'm glad to have found this board, as I have learned a lot!

Purple, I too, did NOT know that there were different kinds of braces, until I came to this board. I saw a message about Damon System, and found it online. Plus, I also saw some people talking about ceramic brackets. So, I started researching this info online and found that there are several different types of braces/brackets. Sounds like you are doing well with your braces, and for that I'm happy!

JC, I hear what you're saying about heating/cooling systems. Just do your research, and find what works best for your home. Must be frustrating! I also understand what you're saying about "chickening out". I was almost tempted to go ahead with the May 23rd date, and just DO IT, but in my heart, I knew I needed more info before I felt comfy.

Now, I feel comfy that I'll be going into this with all of the info that made me FEEL like I was informed and with the Ortho that is right for me. :wink:

Have a happy day!
s

Way Too Old For This

Re: Attn: Missing_tooth, and all that replied and read my po

#6 Post by Way Too Old For This »

eaglesoaring wrote:
Thank you to all of the people with patience for the Newbies.
s
I have to agree ! I can't express how helpful it is to have so much support. I send out accolades to those who consistently give positive support to the newbies (and everyone else for that matter) ! I know it helps me a bunch, even though my questions are re-runs of ones that had been asked before. You all must be very supportive people in your personal lives also....something I would like to be more of.

I'm sort of a negative person, my hubby calls me Miss Doom & Gloom, but the past couple of years I have tried to concentrate on the blessings in my life and when I come across people who always boost others I am so impressed. Then sometimes I find that these people have lots more worries then I do...and I wonder "how do they overcome their own woes to be so supportive to others".
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

eaglesoaring

#7 Post by eaglesoaring »

Way too old for this,

Hey...I'm glad to hear that you agree! These people on this site have answered many of the same questions, time and time again, I'm sure, and yet, I've seen many replies to my questions that are enthusiastic, and kind and helpful. I've seen Kiwi answer the same question several times, and each time she welcomes a new person wholeheartedly. Now, that's a good egg!

Have a beautiful day! And remember, every day you wake up is a reason to be happy! :)

Betty Bat

#8 Post by Betty Bat »

Howdy and welcome.

Just FYI, here's a link to one of the previous discussions on metal/clear/Damon/etc. I think it's a good example of why people might be a little sensitive on the topic right now.

And, just out of curiousity - did you look at any of the previous discussion topics before you posted the first time to see if there was anything on the subject? Does the board need a better way of identifying some of the common threads? I've noticed that SEARCH doesn't always help me find a topic, so there might be something else we could try?

Betty Bat

#9 Post by Betty Bat »

FORGOT TO PUT IN THE DARN LINK in my previous post! Here it is:
viewtopic.php?t=10345

BlueeyedManda

#10 Post by BlueeyedManda »

I am happy you are going to get a couple different consults. Go with what your ortho suggests and what you feel you would be most comfortable with (if the ortho gives you a choice, metal, ceramic...) I have upper and lower ceramics and I really like them, my ortho doesn't do Damons and no one I know outside of this board has them so i can't help with how they are. I know that alot of members here are happy with them. My coworker who goes to the same ortho has all metal and he is happy with them. Everyone likes their choice for their own reasons. Good luck with what you choose! Welcome to our wonderful group, you will find yourself with a great support system.