Good things along the way...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JoeMama

Good things along the way...

#1 Post by JoeMama »

What are some of the positive things that have happened to you because you're wearing braces (other than fixing your teeth)?

I was thinking about it this morning because I can't eat cereal anymore, so I started making these breakfast smoothies and I LOVE THEM. I know this is going to sound like I really need a life, but I can't wait to get up and make one in the morning. I crave them! They're so wonderful and I would never have had met my new smoothy friend if it weren't for my braces. :D :D I thought it would be fun to hear about other people's positive experiences, even if they're goofy like mine. Have you had any?
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

blondie111

#2 Post by blondie111 »

This may sound silly, but my positive experience has been that I have fingernails now!! I used to bite my nails and pencils and whatever else was in reach... now I can't, and for the first time just last night, I put on nail polish! :dance: Oh, it's the little things that make me happy... *sigh*

I'm 32 and will be in braces for almost 2 years!

jaswi

#3 Post by jaswi »

Even though I haven't even got them on yet I still have one. For a couple of years I didn't take especially good care of my teeth. They got bad stains and I got a few very minor cavities. Realizing that I couldn't live the rest of my life with these ugly crooked teeth, and that they were in fact the reason behind me not caring for my teeth in the first place, I've started taking very good care of my teeth, and the stains are even going away.

nita

#4 Post by nita »

I'm drinking a lot more water! :D
I've always been a big water drinker, but now that I have my braces, I've been drinking sooo much more.
Aside from the usual water at my desk, I've been having a lot more water when I go out to eat, especially with other people.
I take a bite and then take a sip of water, it keeps things from getting caught in my braces and before I know it, my glass is empty. I am definitely well hydrated now.

I also take a lot better care of my teeth now, too. I can finally floss for the first time in my life and I'm sure it's doing wonders for my dental health!
Top brackets and spacers on 2/17/06
Molar bands on 3/6/06
Extractions and full braces 3/27/06
Update: 22-24 months total time in braces!

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

Dumping weight!

JoeMama, why can't you eat cereal?

Way Too Old For This

#6 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I'm not as apprehensivie about the dentist chair. I used to hate to have anyone even look at my mouth. Not so much because of the anticipation of pain, but because I was embarrassed to have anyone look at them. Especially people at dentists offices who seem to all have perfect teeth.

I am much more relaxed now in the dentist chair. I even look forward to having them see my progress.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

nimo

#7 Post by nimo »

The best thing so far was the week of work I missed when I got my wisdom teeth out. That was the longest time I've had off in a year, and it was great!
Braced on 17 Feb. 2006.
Five teeth extracted on March 9, 2006.
Canine exposure: February 7, 2007
lefort 3 March 7, 2008
TPA April 22, 2008
2 years 7 months in braces
braces off September 17, 2008

Joanna20

#8 Post by Joanna20 »

Humm I don't know about good things yet, I just got braced this morning and thanks God I feel comfortable with them in! I'm dying to find some nice recipies!
Take care!
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

Henna_the_braceface

#9 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

my family and my orthodontists family have become friends. and my mum and dad are really good friends with my orthodontist and his wife.

MuleNag

#10 Post by MuleNag »

I've only been braced for about a week, but mine goes along with the smoothie thing. I have discovered Carnation Instant Breakfast drinks. They are sooo yummy yet have some nutrition in 'em. And that word "breakfast" means nothing to me...I'll have one anytime of the day!
4 teeth extracted~4/27/06
Braced~5/11/06
Lowers off!~11/13/07
Bottoms off!!!!!!~07/15/08
My story~ http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=11249

JoeMama

#11 Post by JoeMama »

Good ones! It's nice to hear about some of the positive stuff. I'm a little jealous about the dumping weight thing... I wouldn't miss a few extra pounds.

Lionfish - I can probably eat cereal now. I started with the smoothies when I was first braced and have perfected the mix over the last couple months. They are actually quite amazing, not only do I prefer the taste, they actually give me more energy and keep me full until lunch. Cereal never did that for me, and I ate the "healthy" stuff?? The smoothies have fruit (usually banana and strawberry), raw old fashioned oatmeal (gets ground up), wheat bran, Pavel's lowfat yogurt, peanut butter, orange juice and milk. My hubby has switched to them too. Ummmm, I could go for one now...
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

lionfish

#12 Post by lionfish »

Sounds like a good outcome for you, JoeMama.

I eat weetbix or porridge (used to hate the stuff, but it's much more attractive with honey drizzled over it!) and sometimes muesli which I make myself. I find that the weetbix softens up nicely once you add milk to it.