my horrible dentist experience

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rockexrolloh

my horrible dentist experience

#1 Post by rockexrolloh »

i get my braces on June 1st and have been going through all kinds of dental procedures before i get them. i had 5 fillings and all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed.
a couple weeks ago i noticed there was a piece of bone/tooth on the left top side of my gum where one of my wisdom teeth was removed. it's extremely painful when i eat or move my jaw in a certain way.

at first i thought it was a piece of my wisdom tooth that my dentist missed but i called and was told it was a bone working it's way out and i needed to come in if it didn't come through on it's own.

so i waited another week and it just kept getting worse. well, today i went in to have it checked out since i get my braces in 2 weeks.

this really snobby/rude lady comes in, looks at it, and tells me it's fine.
i was kind of confused since there's a freakin' bone sticking out of my gums and ask what i can do for pain.
she tells me in an extremely rude way that she'll go ask the doctor.

she comes back, throws a prescription for vicodin at me, and tells me that's the last one she's giving me.
i handed it back to her and told her i didn't need her vicodin. that i didn't even want her vicodin and the only time i have needed it was when i got my wisdom teeth out; which i only used half the bottle. i then explained that i was asking because i wasn't sure what to do or if i needed to rinse with the antibiotic rinse he had given me at my first visit. and that i really didn't come to have a prescription for vicodin thrown at me and i won't be filling it.
she tells me to take it anyway that i'll probably need it in the future.
that is when i got up and left.

it upset me really really bad.
i was basically treated like a junky that just needed a vicodin fix.
so now i have a bad rep because of this lady and i still have a bone sticking out of my gums.

i really don't know what to do. i get my braces in 2 weeks and i'm afraid it might affect them.

have any of you guys been treated like this? i hope not because i was almost in tears when i left.

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

It sounds like you really stood up for yourself which is totally admirable. The lady was totally rude. When you told her you didn't want the prescription she should have changed her strategy of dealing with your issue. In my opinion she should have had the doctor look at it. i would call back and say you still have the same issue and would like to be seen again. They can't possibly do the same thing again, can they?
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

blondie111

#3 Post by blondie111 »

I agree with jcdamon3... I would call back and be demanded to be seen again.......by the DOCTOR. This lady was way rude to you, and there is no need for that. Sounds like SHE needs the vicodin!! :lol: I would be very concerned too if I had a bone sticking out of my gum!!!

Good luck with this and keep us posted.....

I'm 32 and will be in braces for almost 2 years!

rockexrolloh

#4 Post by rockexrolloh »

Thanks guys. I really want to go back because I know it isn't normal but I don't want them to tell me it's fine again. I'm considering going to another dentist to have it looked at.
It's just so stressful. On top of all of this, I'm scared to death to get my braces on. I've gone back and forth with everything, thinking that maybe I just shouldn't get them at all.
But thanks for both of your responses! It makes me feel better that I did the right thing by sticking up for myself.

Way Too Old For This

#5 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I'm sorry that you were treated that way rockexrolloh. I have never been treated that way by a dentist or their assistants but have been by doctors. I no longer go to those doctors. I figure I am the customer and I certainly wouldn't go back to a store if I was treated that way by the clerks in the store.

I also had a problem with bone working its way to the surface after I had my wisdom teeth pulled. I don't know if this will help you, but I just pulled the bone shards out with a pair of tweezers like I would a splinter. Your dentist should have done that for you since you were there. Its been many many years, but I do remember bone pieces coming up for like a year after the oral surgery. I don't remember it hurting very much though which makes me think yours might be infected. I would definitely go see another dentist. Did you go back to the same OS as the one who pulled the teeth?

I agree, you don't need to start the braces process with this kind of problem.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

Dark_angel

#6 Post by Dark_angel »

I'd definatley get it looked at as well as a written complaint to the dentist or whoever runs the practise about this woman.

purple

#7 Post by purple »

i too have had this experience but only with doctors...

It was very unproffessional and i would make an appointment to see the dentist and then make a complaint.

You're time and money is as good as anyone elses and you are entitled to proper aftercare if there are any complications.

I had two dry sockets after my extractions and I had no problem going back to get some pain relief and advice.
Dont let that put you off getting your braces, it would be a shame to go through all that for nothing!!

Best of luck

Purp;e

KittyW

#8 Post by KittyW »

Call the dentist's office and ask to speak directly to the dentist. Tell him how the woman at the front treated you and then have him set up a time to see you. I've never heard of such unprofessional treatment!
I don't know if this will help you, but I just pulled the bone shards out with a pair of tweezers like I would a splinter. Your dentist should have done that for you since you were there. Its been many many years, but I do remember bone pieces coming up for like a year after the oral surgery.
Same thing happened to me when my wisdom teeth were pulled years ago. I too took tweezers and yanked the splinter out. I had bone chips work their way out of my gum for a few years too. Sounds like it must be common.

Hang in there and don't back out of getting the braces!!! Since I've had mine my dental health has improved dramatically. The braces are going to be good for your teeth. :)

Kitty
Damon 3 - Dec. 7th, 2004
17.5 month duration
Debanded, gorgeous smile on May 16, 2006

Flora2006

#9 Post by Flora2006 »

I completely agree with everyone else.

I cannot believe she spoke to you in such a nasty way. I can't believe people can even think of being that rude...especially when they work in health.

You need to speak to your dentist in person and complain. How she spoke/acted with you is completely unacceptable!!

As for your problem...definitely get it looked by the dentist...not an assistant/hygienist, etc...but the dentist himself. I had a piece of bone in my gum for a few months that came out about a month and a half ago...but it wasn't ever painful...so have a talk with your dentist.

Good luck.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006