Does anyone get both removable AND bonded retainers?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

storeyrich

Does anyone get both removable AND bonded retainers?

#1 Post by storeyrich »

Hi there,

I haven't posted for a long time!

I'm due to get my brace off in a month or so. I know I'll be getting bonded retainers at the end, however I can't remember if my ortho said I would get removable ones AS WELL.

Does this ever happen? Or is it always one OR the other?

Cheers if anyone can clear this up!

Richard

CLAmom

#2 Post by CLAmom »

It will be a long, long time before my braces come off but my ortho has stated I will have a removable (Hawley) on top & permanent (bonded) on the bottom. I have a friend at work who has bonded retainers top & bottom & swears by them. I plan to talk to the doc. about getting mine done that way, too. I just don't think I can be trusted to wear a removable retainer consistently. I would find excuses to not wear it and that's not good. :lol:

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

storeyrich

#3 Post by storeyrich »

Reading a couple of entries on the board, I'm just thinking that if bonded retainers only stick to half of the teeth and not all of them, then surely the ones that aren't retained can move, get gaps, and do their own thing and in a few months time I might get my gaps back!

I've read that people get one, or the other, or a bit of both, but I've never read anywhere about people getting bonded retainers as well as hawleys for both top and bottom.

lol

I think I'm more worried about my £2500 "investment" being a bad one if everything gets wrecked from moving around in a couple of years time!

Thanks for your reply,

Richard

Dark_angel

#4 Post by Dark_angel »

My partner has a bonded on the top as well as hawleys for both arches. I can definatley reccomend the fixed for preventing movement.

mtbrncofn

#5 Post by mtbrncofn »

I have a bonded retainer on top as well as Essix retainers for top and bottom.
Full upper and lower metal braces put on May 12, 2005.

Braces free as of April 18, 2006!

Temporarily rebraced Nov. 21, 2006. ( I think I've moved past temporary. )

Brace free again - July 26, 2007.

edgezbaby

#6 Post by edgezbaby »

storeyrich wrote:Reading a couple of entries on the board, I'm just thinking that if bonded retainers only stick to half of the teeth and not all of them, then surely the ones that aren't retained can move, get gaps, and do their own thing and in a few months time I might get my gaps back!

I've read that people get one, or the other, or a bit of both, but I've never read anywhere about people getting bonded retainers as well as hawleys for both top and bottom.

lol

I think I'm more worried about my £2500 "investment" being a bad one if everything gets wrecked from moving around in a couple of years time!

Thanks for your reply,

Richard
yeah the whole section of my bottom teeth that were bonded onto my permanent retainer moved outward which led to spacing and now i have to get braces back on and then getting the permanent retainer on again along with the essix retainer...but then again that was cuz i was tongue thrusting ...lol so u prob would be fine with the bonded lower...since everyone of my friends have just that and their teeth still look fine...

Grin&bareit73

#7 Post by Grin&bareit73 »

Hi storeyrich

I have braces because of the many gaps in my teeth. I will be getting fixed retainers on the top and bottom as well as the Essex.
My ortho said that i'll only really have to wear the Essex retainers at night since I'll have the fixed ones as well.

I think he just wants to make doubly sure that I'm retained because I'm one of those "tongue thrusters" as well.

A woman at my work told me that she never had fixed retainers, just a hawley, and her teeth have moved. She is going back into braces for a third time and then she's going to request fixed retainers this time when she's done.

The way I see it, if my ortho wanted to give me 4 different types of retainers I'd take them all, because I don't want to go through this again, or waste the investment I'm making!!

Good Luck!!
[/url]

"Smile; if you can't lift the corners, let the middle sag..."

SueFromNJ

I will be getting four retainers!

#8 Post by SueFromNJ »

Whenever I get mine off (maybe early this summer! :D ) I will be getting four retainers - upper and lower hawley, and then bonded retainers on both upper and bottom teeth. I don't know how I will ever speak properly with so much stuff in my mouth!!! I also have root reabsorption and bone damage on my upper teeth, so everything is needed since I may not have enough bone to keep my teeth in place. :(
Debanded in May, 2006! Total sentence: Three years and two months. Now in hawleys which make me gag! Before braces, I had dracula fangs in their own rows, and everything else was crooked, crowded, with a cross-bite, too!

storeyrich

#9 Post by storeyrich »

Thankyou all for your reply :D

Richard

Chris

Re: I will be getting four retainers!

#10 Post by Chris »

I also have root reabsorption and bone damage on my upper teeth, so everything is needed since I may not have enough bone to keep my teeth in place. :(
Sue, how did the bone damage occur?
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

SueFromNJ

Re: I will be getting four retainers!

#11 Post by SueFromNJ »

Sue, how did the bone damage occur?
The damage was found on xrays done at the 21 month mark. After my ortho took the xrays, he immediately ordered me to my general dentist, where they discussed a plan, which was to splint my teeth together after the braces. I am assuming this splint is similar to what we all call a permanent retainer, though it could be something far more strong, I am not 100 percent sure. Apparently, my bone may not support my teeth and they may become loose, so by splinting them together, it disapates the forces on them, so hopefully I can keep my teeth for a long time!

The ortho implied the damage was all along my upper teeth, not just one spot. Before braces, I had a fang that protruded WAY in front of everything else, and had extractions too, so I guess all of this was too much for my bone to regenerate. I am also in my mid-30's so I am no youngin', either. They aren't sure why, but I am one of those dreaded cases where the bone doesn't bounce back. :(

Nowdays, I even joke that my teeth were far healthier before braces, which is true! So I damaged my bone and teeth just to approve my appearance, as braces certainly didn't improve my oral health! But I knew the risks, and I felt I had no choice but to improve my smile, so I have no regrets. And I hope the permanent retainer and splints will keep everything in place enough.

Funny thing is, my ortho really doesn't talk about it. And neither did my general dentist at my last two visits. Neither seems concerned anymore, or maybe there really isn't anything that can be done. Must say, I will be happy to get all the retainers I need, so I feel better about everything staying in place! :)
Debanded in May, 2006! Total sentence: Three years and two months. Now in hawleys which make me gag! Before braces, I had dracula fangs in their own rows, and everything else was crooked, crowded, with a cross-bite, too!

Chris

#12 Post by Chris »

You have a very good attitude, Sue, despite your situation.

I know I'm disappointed that I had too much bone loss now to have implants on my missing teeth without a bone graft and I don't want to go that route ($$$) so I have to opt for a bridge again and I've had nightmares of needing a root canal once again after they "prepare your teeth for crowns".

I believe in positive thinking, life is what your make of it.

I just read on a soda cup "The Spice of Life is Not in Your Cupboard, But in Your Attitude". I really like that saying.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Lala7603

#13 Post by Lala7603 »

i originally had only essix retainers top and bottom.....but i have always had really stubborn bottom teeth which were the main reason that i got braces. I wore my retainers for SOOO long...and i just couldnt get my teeth to stay..and it would hurt soooo bad to put my retainer back in after having it out for only a few hours.....so my ortho decided to give me a bonded retainer on the bottom. I LOVE IT. it doesnt bother me at all....and is taming my stubborn bottom teeth....lol
Smiles
Lala
Braces On: November 21, 2003
Braces Off: December 17, 2004
Braces Back On: November 6, 2007
Braces Back Off: 2008

kirst1583

#14 Post by kirst1583 »

I have bonded on the bottom plus an essix (tru tain) retainer.
On the top I have a Hawley.
I'm meant to wear the upper fulltime, but the lower essix only needs to be worn one night a week.

storeyrich

#15 Post by storeyrich »

I spoke to my orthodontist yesterday, and it seems I'll be getting both bonded retainers and hawleys, reason being that it reduces the chance of things moving around after treatment, especially for an "older" patient (I'm only 24! Ho hum.)

Also, I've now got the date for when I lose the braces, which is pretty much in a months time, wahay! :D

Ties this thread off nicely :) Thanks for everyones responses!

Richard