I got my braces today - 5/19/06

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ssfw

I got my braces today - 5/19/06

#1 Post by ssfw »

Braces were placed on my upper teeth this morning. It was an easy process. When I went in, I still had not decided between the metal or clear brackets - my orthodontist said both would have the same outcome. I spoke to the ortho assistant and she showed me both types of brackets. She said they were very close in size and this would be a personal preference decision. I was thinking about the metal these past 3 weeks because my ortho had told me that these did not require ligs and the clear brackets takes about an additional 3-4 months but the outcome would be the same in my case. I finally decided on the clear because I was concerned about the visual aspect even though everyone will know I have braces. I was also considering the metal brackets because they did look alot smaller (self-ligating brackets) than the traditional metal brackets. I'm happy with my decision with the clear brackets. I chose opaque colored ligs and I can't even see them. I'm hoping one day to be brave enough to choose colored ligs - I love colored things, but don't want my braces to be so noticeable at this time. They said these may stain in about a month but the clear/white ones stain faster. I'm sure that I would have adjusted to the metal brackets but I think there would have been an adjustment period for me.

I have been so busy in the last three weeks and I think this is why I wasn't nervous when I went in for my appointment today - I didn't have the time to think about getting the braces and to be nervous. The appointment took about an hour but it only took her 30 minutes to place the brackets.

I'm just glad that the braces were placed and I'm also glad that I didn't get the soonest appointment available because I felt like I needed to be emotionally ready for the braces - my initial time to get the braces was in July 2006 but my expander did its job 3 months early, so I was not ready to get the braces so soon. I took the day off today so that I would not feel rushed and I'm glad I did - it doesn't make it as stressful.

Thanks to KK for her advice about the chapstick and using the restroom prior to the appointment - great advice!

I'm able to eat and feel no discomfort and hope this continues throughout my ortho. treatment.

ssfw
Last edited by ssfw on Fri May 19, 2006 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Nille

#2 Post by Nille »

Congrats! :-)o I'm glad to hear it was a pleasant experience for you. Good luck with your treatment and may it continue to go smoothly!
Full metal mouth! 5-23-06
Estimated time: 12-18 months!

jaswi

#3 Post by jaswi »

Congrats on starting the journey, I'm a little jeleous myself. I have to wait another month for mine to go on.

jaxxie118

#4 Post by jaxxie118 »

:thumbsup: Congrats on getting your braces put on! That's great that you weren't stressed and that there's no discomfort. I can't wait until I get my on soon.
Metal uppers & lowers + 1 tooth pulled
Estimated treatment time: 18 months

Joanna20

#5 Post by Joanna20 »

>Hey I got braced on Friday too!
Looks like everything went well!
Good luck!
Joe

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

ssfw

#6 Post by ssfw »

Thanks for your posts.

I'm glad the process went smoothly and I wasn't nervous. I think alot of this is due to my great orthodontists (2 in my office), their assistants and support staff. Having these great people that you can tell care about their patients and are so nice to the patients makes you feel so lucky that you're a patient in their office and makes getting braces a great experience. I had asked a few questions after the brackets were placed and as always they took the time to answer my questions. I think all of this is why I have such a good attitude about having to go through orthodontic treatment. Of course, this great website has been so helpful to me. I know that for some people, it doesn't matter to them if people are nice or not - they just want to get the ortho treatment done. Everyone's different, I just know what I look for when I need medical/dental services.

I should know in about 4 months if I will need lower braces - if he can't get my bite corrected and reduce my overjet with just the upper braces then lower brackets will be placed - not a big deal to me - I just want my teeth to look the best they can.

ssfw

ssfw

#7 Post by ssfw »

I want to know what to expect at my adjustment appointments. If I get a new archwire, a thicker one, does a thicker archwire place more pressure on the teeth? What else can I expect. I know everyone's case is different so what is done at the appointments can vary.

My archwire is a very light one, probably because my orthodontist wants me to get use to having braces. Even though it is a very lightweight archwire, I know it is doing something because if I press on the bracket, the tooth is a bit sensitive but otherwise there's no discomfort.

ssfw

nvcarissa

#8 Post by nvcarissa »

If I get a new archwire, a thicker one, does a thicker archwire place more pressure on the teeth?
Yes. In fact, I feel the pressure as soon as the new wire is "clicked in" to the brackets, even before the ligs are added. But that means progress!!

I hope all is going well for you.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

nvcarissa

#9 Post by nvcarissa »

If I get a new archwire, a thicker one, does a thicker archwire place more pressure on the teeth?
Yes. In fact, I feel the pressure as soon as the new wire is "clicked in" to the brackets, even before the ligs are added. But that means progress!!

I hope all is going well for you.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

lionfish

#10 Post by lionfish »

Hi ssfw, just to add to what has been said before, you will feel additional pressure with a thicker wire. You will feel additional pressure even if a ligature is replaced.

Flora2006

#11 Post by Flora2006 »

Congratulations on finally getting braced :)

As everyone else has said...each adjustment is different and you will have different things put in...you will feel pressure at times and such...but it's nothing you can't handle :)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

ssfw

#12 Post by ssfw »

Thanks again for all of your posts.

I truly think if it wasn't for this website, I would not be going through orthodontic treatment now or in the future. This website has so much information and most important alot of support and encouragement from other members that are also going through orthodontic treatment. Also, a person can ask any question and not feel like it's a stupid question and some people also use this website to vent, which can be healthy when going through orthodontic treatment.

I still haven't had any major discomfort from the braces - just wondering if it may still happen before my first adjustment appt. - any thoughts on this? Does pain/discomfort happen soon after the braces are placed/ archwire is changed/adjustment appt. or can it happen weeks later?

ssfw