Metal Band Issues!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Phaedra

Metal Band Issues!

#1 Post by Phaedra »

I am a first timer my braces went on yesterday. So far I only have them on my upper teeth. I am having problems with metal bands that they used. One in particular on my back molar I can feel my lower molar bite into whenever I clench my back teeth. Has anyone experienced this problem before, does it go away on its own along with the soreness?

Way Too Old For This

#2 Post by Way Too Old For This »

That happened to me on my first day and it was because the band was loose. They had to replace it. They are not supposed to move.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

flygirlnextdoor

#3 Post by flygirlnextdoor »

Something similar happened to me. I went back to the ortho and he ground down the metal so my teeth wouldn't hit the band.
Upper braces on: January 9, 2006
Lower braces on: May 8, 2006
2 upper extractions: November 19, 2007
Full metal
Braces off: June 25, 2009
Upper Hawley and lower bonded retainers
3 years 5 months 2 weeks and 2 days in braces

JumpTheDitch

#4 Post by JumpTheDitch »

My ortho intentionally positioned my molar bands so that the outside of my top molars hit the 'ledge' on the outside of my bottom molar bands when I bite down (if that makes sense!).

I guess it's another way of dealing with preventing my top front teeth biting off my bottom brackets due to the overbite. It's a bit of a pain, makes chewing tedious and inefficient, but possibly easier to deal with than build ups or bite turbos, etc.

I did wonder at first about any possible damage caused to the upper molars from chewing on metal but it seems to be ok so far.

Phaedra

#5 Post by Phaedra »

Today it isn't bothering me as much anymore,I guess because the soreness is gone. Managed to eat a toasted bagel today. But the metal bands are annoying as hell while eating--I had 4 extractions as well so that doesn't help matters either!

Henna_the_braceface

#6 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

i dont think i ever had trouble with metal bands... even with 4 extraction gaps.. It'll all be worth it in the end guys! hang in there! :D
Last edited by Henna_the_braceface on Mon May 22, 2006 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dark_angel

#7 Post by Dark_angel »

You'll get used to the metal bands when eating and the extraction gaps. Ive never had any problems with my bands untill friday when another set on the bottom was added, my teeth are now tender and the tops of the bands dont seem to be level with the tops of the teeth. Im sure by the end of the week it will seem normal and ill be used to the change.