Broken wire

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

countyblue

Broken wire

#1 Post by countyblue »

Well...........After 10 days, I've broke a wire :(

The wire attached to my back tooth has come off the bracket! How long will it take to fix?

I'm going to phone the orthadontist tmoro so hopefully he will be able to fix it? Hope he doesnt make me wait as there's no pressure on my lower teeth now!?

ssfw

#2 Post by ssfw »

Hi countyblue,

I don't think it takes long to replace the wire, maybe about 10 minutes. Depending on when your next appt. was scheduled, your orthodontist may want to make an adjustment since you're there and if this happens, your appt. make take a bit longer. But if you just had an appt. recently, no adjustments may be needed, s/he may just take a look at your teeth before your wire is replaced.

Hopefully your ortho's office is like mine in which they always do their best to get patients with urgent appts. like these in as soon as possible.

Hope this helps.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

Nikkiekoala

#3 Post by Nikkiekoala »

It sounds like the wire has slipped out from the back bracket. It doesn't sound like the wire itself is broken. The ortho can slide it back into the bracket in a few seconds. This happens with the thinner wires, once you have moved onto a thicker wire it wont happen.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

countyblue

#4 Post by countyblue »

Shame I cant do it myself!

Dark_angel

#5 Post by Dark_angel »

Do you have bands or brackets?

I know on bands its easy(ish) to take a pair of tweezers and shove the wire back where it should be. If you have an extraction gap that the wire covers then wires popping out can be quite frequent. Once you get upgraded so to speak it wont happen.

countyblue

#6 Post by countyblue »

I have brackets and the wire covers quite a large gap to attach itself to the back tooth bracket (a bit like a tightrope) which the only way I can descibe it.

My adjustment isnt till 8th June so I dont know if he'll just re-attach it or tighten it?

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

The process of reattaching the same wire will give you added pressure (I've had this happen to me before).

countyblue

#8 Post by countyblue »

Well it took 30 seconds to fix! lol

I just need to be more careful chewing on the side with the big gap!

ssfw

#9 Post by ssfw »

Hi countyblue,

I'm glad your ortho's office was able to get you in so quickly and it only took a few seconds to fix. I guess you weren't due for an adjustment - probably too soon. I hope your ortho's office isn't too far for you to get to - mine is only about 10 minutes away and parking is easy - makes it convenient for these unexpected emergencies.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08