Extract Only One Tooth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

toon-town-brace-face

Extract Only One Tooth?

#1 Post by toon-town-brace-face »

Hi and thanks to anyone who reads in advance.

I'm going for 'records' this week, top braces right away and bottoms in a few months. My orthodontist wants to extract only one tooth from the bottoms (an incisor), saying that only he and my dentist would know that was the case. Is this a common approach to correct crowding

I was under the impression that extractions are done in pairs for a balanced visual look. I'm guessing that having an odd number of bottom teeth will have a centered look when all is said and done.

Thanks again

lilsisbet

#2 Post by lilsisbet »

Having one tooth removed is not uncommon. If your curious to see what the final outcome could look like... take a look at Lora's blog. I hope she doesn't mine that I often use it and refer to it.

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~lora/braces.html
Elizabeth
Braces on March 15, 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months. Official debanding date - June 14, 2007 - Total of 27 months!

toon-town-brace-face

#3 Post by toon-town-brace-face »

Thanks lilsisbet and KK for your replies. The site link is extremely helpful. The end result looks good. My orthodontist uses Speed-Braces so I'm kind of actually looking forward to all this. Wait... I'm 32 and am looking forward to braces?!?! That doesn't sound right!

Thanks again!

drazda

#4 Post by drazda »

I went to the site lilsisbet posted. The woman's teeth are perfectly straight and perfect... but the midline is off because only one tooth was extracted. Would the midline being off be a problem in one tooth extraction cases?
Braces removed 10 months early on 1/23/07!

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

One tooth extraction is common, but I hear that the 1st bicuspid is usually the one to go.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Bracefaced

#6 Post by Bracefaced »

I had my upper right first bicuspid removed....only one...

At every adjustment appointment, I religiously ask my ortho to reassure me my midline wont be too deviated :oops:
And at every appointment, he reassures me I won’t have a checkerboard smile :lol:

Progress so far (my extraction was in January) is looking really good. The gum in the extraction area is starting to “bend inâ€

beanstix

#7 Post by beanstix »

I've had a lower incisor extraction, due to crowding. Everybody's case is individual and for me I had the tooth removed and all the teeth in the lower larch repositioned and made to "stand up", rather than just closing the gap. Having no midline is no big deal for me at all, it doesn't notice at all. (Currently I am having a problem with my lower arch but I'm sure my ortho will address this in due course, I've never learnt to relax and trust her because she doesn't communicate!).

Good luck with your treatment.
Lower incisor extraction & metal lower: 31.03.05
Ceramic upper: 27.05.05
Treatment time: 18 months