Does anyone feel more tired now?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sophielafille

#16 Post by sophielafille »

Wow, this is an interesting topic! I've been very tired and low energy lately, and drinking alot more coffee (staining...that's another topic!) Anyway, I suppose it could be connected to braces, and the constant pressure on the teeth and the body constantly working. Now...can I use this as an excuse to leave work early ;)

SOPHIE
Braces on November 16, 2005: Ceramic Uppers, Metal Lowers
Frenectomy done on December 5, 2005
4 extractions done on December 10
TPA installed Jan 16, 2006
Elastic Triangles started June 8, 2006
BRACES OFF!!!!!!!!!! July 17, 2007
now wearing two removable retainers. Yeah!!!!

Leslie022

#17 Post by Leslie022 »

I ignored this post first time around but I just realized that I have been super tired lately. It's to the point where I want to sleep 12 hrs straight. I've also had a lot of pressure lately and headaches. I didn't think my Damon's were really doing anything since I'm on such a flimsy wire!
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

kirst1583

#18 Post by kirst1583 »

Leslie022 wrote: It's to the point where I want to sleep 12 hrs straight. I've also had a lot of pressure lately and headaches. I didn't think my Damon's were really doing anything since I'm on such a flimsy wire!
I know what you mean. If I don't need to wake early and don't set an alarm then I generally wake 11-12hrs later!
I often get headaches too. I'm not sure whether the tiredness or headaches is connected to the braces at all though but it would be interesting to know.

mtb_nwbraces

#19 Post by mtb_nwbraces »

When I first got braces I notice right off that I would sleep 2 to 3 hours longer for the first two nights after every adjustment, but after my 6th or 7th adjustments my sleeping went back to normal after my adjustment. Maybe because I am in the fine tuning stage and my teeth done move as much as they did in the beginning I no longer need the extra sleep.
Braced - Jan 6th 2005
Full Metal Brackets
Teeth released from Bondage - July 25th 2006

jennandtonic

#20 Post by jennandtonic »

I think it does take up more energy to concentrate on what you can/can't eat, the cleaning and upkeep, et cetera et cetera. Also, like others said I'm sure it's a strange thing for the brain and body to adjust while the teeth are being moved.

I have noticed that on days where my teeth are hurting I have a little less energy. Also, after I got my braces I slept for most of two days afterward.

Teigyr

#21 Post by Teigyr »

I also feel more tired. I think it's for a couple of reasons. There is the constant feeling that they are there (not pain, really, but existence) and I think it is a way for our bodies to compensate. It's like if you wear shoes that hurt. You just feel so drained at the end of the day! I also think it is stress, to a degree. I am pre-surgery so that is always looming over my head. Each adjustment, I wonder what they will do and how much longer it will be. It isn't bad stress or thoughts but it is constant planning in my mind about vacation (will I have to cancel due to surgery?), finances, etc.

I also found I have exercised less since being braced. It could be that it's winter, it could be that I have less time. I don't know! I just know that if I don't exercise, I have less energy. If I have no energy, it's hard to exercise....it's a bad bad cycle!!

Flora2006

#22 Post by Flora2006 »

Do orthos only change the first wire into another wire once your teeth are aligned?

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Flora2006

#23 Post by Flora2006 »

KK wrote:I'm getting impatient ... :evil: I love seeing all the progress pics ... and I want to be able to post some like that! Stupid I know ... maybe it's just that time of the month![/b]! :banana:
Thanks for the reply KK :)
I know what you mean, I love seeing the progress photos...it keeps me going because there are so many times where I just want to go to my ortho and have those braces taken off!

~~~~~~

Mel-UK

#24 Post by Mel-UK »

It was reassuring to come across these posts. I've been cancelling things left right and centre because I have been feeling so tired. I just had a conversation with a friend, which got we wondering if the metal itself can have a diverse effect - has anyone come across this?

Thanks Mel
Damon3 upper & lowers
plus bite turbos on upper front teeth and one elastic closing a gap on front lower teeth and one closing a gap on upper front teeth. Elastics on hooks both sides.

michelle85

#25 Post by michelle85 »

I think the lack of energy is because I'm not eating what I should. My diet is pretty limited (a lot of that is because I don't want to eat something that's going to take me forever to clean out). When I take vitamins and iron supplements I feel much better.

Joanna20

#26 Post by Joanna20 »

Hey, I've only been in lower braces for a couple of days now and I do feel a bit more tired. I guess it's a mix of everything - not eating properly, the headaches, teeth aches... I wanted to chopp my head off on Friday! I slept all afternoon and still managed to get a great night sleep.
I hope this feeling doesn't last for long!

Take care,
Joanna

Next Ortho. consultations: Dec. 26 & January 16
Next Higienist consultation: February

Flora2006

#27 Post by Flora2006 »

michelle85 wrote:I think the lack of energy is because I'm not eating what I should. My diet is pretty limited (a lot of that is because I don't want to eat something that's going to take me forever to clean out). When I take vitamins and iron supplements I feel much better.
I completely agree with you. I sleep so much more now...if I can. I'm always tired and have less energy. I talk less as well just because I find that talking gets my mouth tired.

It's annoying because when I work...I go up to 10 hours without eating anything because there is just no time...(we don't get breaks...we can take a really short one whenever we want...but nothing too long) and then when I get home I'm just too tired to eat and all I want to do is sleep...

How annoying!!! lol At least those braces will really be worthwhile at the end! ;)

~~~~~~

akabraces

#28 Post by akabraces »

I don't feel any more tired...still have lots of energy : )

*aka

susieq182

#29 Post by susieq182 »

I totally agree! I have been feeling more tired since getting braces. We have to remember that in a way braces are injuring our mouths its only natural for the body to react the way it does when we are hurt we do the best healing while we sleep. The body craves what it needs. it also depends on the time of month I get my adjustments.
Extract #3 6/07 implant 10/07
Upper Molar bands
Bite Plate 12/12/05-5/20/06
spacers all lower arch first 10 weeks
Braced 12/12/05
New ortho 2/8/07

texasangel

#30 Post by texasangel »

I have always felt tired probably since I was 30 (I am 44 now), but I think it is because of my sinuses and allergies, but the braces have definitely put a strain on me too. My ears have been ringing/buzzing since last June and that is driving me nuts too. I'm hoping that when the braces come off the ringing ears will go away.
I agree, the constant moving and tightness of our teeth make us tired . . . so hey LET'S ALL TAKE A NAP !!!!!! :-Z Yeah !!!!!
Braced on 1/10/05 - full metal- woo hoo!!
Braces coming OFF 5/31/06 !!!