Caved in canines

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sprouts

Caved in canines

#1 Post by sprouts »

Hi!

I had braces for a year and a half. I got them off last year. My treatment was very simple because my teeth were nice when I started. My orthodontist told me that poeple would die to have the teeth I already had. I had clear brackets in top and I chose gold for the bottom even though you could barely see them.

I only really got braces because one of my front teeth slightly overlapped the other. People actually thought that I had already had braces. The ortho told me that it would just make sense to band the top and the bottom and straighten everything out even more. I had np problem with that. Since I am only 23 my parents paid for it.

Everyone tells me that I have a movie star smile but I think my canines are too caved in and it makes my smile look narrow. I am obsessive compulsive and I like everything to be perfect. My ortho said that the canine position is actually built into the bracket but I still don't like it. He made my retainer so the acrylis would not touch my canines and thought that maybe it would allow them to move out a little. I only ever had to wear hawley retainers at night since I have bonded ones on the top and bottom. He wanted to make sure that the teeth were glued into their new position.

I wear the retainers 3 or 4 nights a week and it has been a year and I don't think the canines have moved out at all. I am contemplating going back to him to ask if he could make me a retainer to push them out. What would you do? Would you listen to him or would you rather be personally happy with your smile. My smile is honestly my best quality and quys comment on it all the time. One guy's first comment to me was "you have such a clean mouth" How flattering.

Come on guys give me your opinion. I will love you all forever. Now that you know my life story feel free to comment on anything.

You guys are the best!
I love Bean Sprouts!

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

It would be alot easier if you had a pic available.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

Flora2006

#3 Post by Flora2006 »

I agree with jcdamon...it would be a lot easier for us to give you advise if you posted some pictures.

Regardless, it is important that you be happy with your smile. If, after 1 year or so, you decided to come on this board and ask this question...that means that you aren't too happy about your canines no? If that's the case, go see your ortho...it won't hurt. Who knows, maybe he can do something about it.

Good luck with your decision...and remember to do whatever you want to do...if you are constantly thinking (even if its just a few times a week or something) about your canines...than I really think you should go see your ortho so he can do something about it and thus make you fully happy with your smile.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006