poking means moving??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

poloaa

poking means moving??

#1 Post by poloaa »

I got braces since May.12, almost two weeks and i am doing pretty good, i can eat as much as usual, i don't feel any pain at all, but the wire starts to poke my cheeks these few days, does it mean the teeth are moving?? Anyone experience the same thing like i do?

Thanks.
Po
35 years old, mom of two
Est. treatment time:16 months

x3trinity

#2 Post by x3trinity »

Hey Po!

You are right! If the wire starts to poke you in the cheeks that definitely means that your teeth are moving. It may hurt a little but it means MOVEMENT, so just give your ortho a call and let him clip the end of your wire for you, it will feel so much better.

CONGRATULATIONS ON GETTING BRACED! :thumbsup:

"God's love is always with you, God's promises are true."

CLAmom

#3 Post by CLAmom »

Yup. When the end of the wire starts to poke or scratch your cheek--you've got movement! It gets really ouchy so make sure you go in and get the end clipped off. I waited too long the first time this happened and ended up with the mother of all canker sores. :wink:

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

josephine

#4 Post by josephine »

And you probably know this already, but until you can see your ortho rinse your mouth with warm salt water now and then, and use wax on that pokey bit to keep it from driving you nuts.

Grin&bareit73

#5 Post by Grin&bareit73 »

Be careful if you decide to get the wire clipped...

Maybe it's long enough where they can bend it, and that would be better.
I had a pokey wire that they tried to snip, and they ended up having to grind it with a tool. The problem is it made the wire sharp like a fishhook and now my cheek gets caught on it.

It was better when it was just a little pokey and annoying. Now I have to keep wax on it 24-7, even when I eat. My mouth got used to all the other pokey wires after a couple days of wax.

I learned my lesson the hard way!!

Good luck, sounds like everything is going great so far!!
[/url]

"Smile; if you can't lift the corners, let the middle sag..."

Fran1988

#6 Post by Fran1988 »

yeah i have experienced the same thing the past few days. Because the bracket only goes to the first bicuspid on the left side i have cut my lip up right in the corner so i cant open my mouth lol

poloaa

#7 Post by poloaa »

Yes, my corners of my mouth got poked, when i talked, i could only talk w/little movement, so embarrased, people may think i have something in my mouth, lol.

Thanks for everyone and good luck to all of us.

Po
35 years old, mom of two
Est. treatment time:16 months