Warm Salted Water Rinse

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sarah22

Warm Salted Water Rinse

#1 Post by Sarah22 »

As Im new to all this, I meant to ask, how often do people tend to rinse with salted water? I've seen it mentioned a few times..... Is this a once a day thing, and before or after mouthwash?

michelle85

#2 Post by michelle85 »

I did it every night before bed. Always at least once per day. Whether or not you do it before or after mouth wash and brushing is really up to you. I didn't want the taste to stay in my mouth so I did it before.

But do them! They help so much! Yesterday was a week after getting braces on and I haven't needed wax since Thursday.

Dark_angel

#3 Post by Dark_angel »

You should do them after mouthwash etc so that the salt stays in your mouth to work. If you brush / use mouthwash after your just washing the salt away.

If you dont like the taste maybe do it when you get home from work and after lunch.

CLAmom

#4 Post by CLAmom »

Use the rinses as needed. When your mouth is really sore, several times a day will probably feel pretty good. Right now one side of my tongue is really sore & I started rinsing twice a day. It feels better already.

Ceramic upper & lower 2/22/06--3M Clarity

"Ever notice how instant gratification takes too long?"

Grin&bareit73

#5 Post by Grin&bareit73 »

I did salt-water rinses once at night for the first couple weeks because of wanting to avoid mouth sores, and it really helped.

Now I don't do them as often, unless i'm having a problem.

When I occasionally have gum or tooth soreness, I found that brushing with warm water actually seems to soften my toothbrush and make for more comfortable brushing.

Knock on wood, I used to get a lot of canker sores, but haven't had one since i've been braced. I don't know if I can thank the salt-water rinses that KK swears by, or just plain dumb luck!!

Good Luck!!
[/url]

"Smile; if you can't lift the corners, let the middle sag..."

Sarah22

Thank you!

#6 Post by Sarah22 »

To all who replied - thank you so much. I'll put your tips into practise! :-**