Ready to roll...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jeneva

Ready to roll...

#1 Post by Jeneva »

I have been sniffing around this forum ever since I was told I may need braces. I can't thank you all enough for the knowledge and the "tribal knowledge" that i have gotten here.
So I went ahead and scheduled the insertion of my spacers (10 days with those). I'm sentenced to about 18 months of hard labor in metal braces with a year probation of full time retainer and the obligatory life sentence of night - time retainer wear.
I am actually looking forward to getting my teeth corrected before the problem gets worse - and i have that whole braces after age 30 thing that i am trying to avoid (i know - odd hang up).

So who has had the spacers put in. I hear they are considered by some the worst part of the whole dang thing. Please - be brutally honest with me - as i have to get the done any way i look at it, and i want to know that to expect.
Spacers in 17 June 2006
top braced 28 June 06
bottom spacers 6 November 06
bottom braced 16 November 06

juf_84

#2 Post by juf_84 »

Hi,

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you- I'm getting the spacers put in in 20 days and braces a week after that. I'm looking at 9-12 months in braces and then having a retainer bonded to the back of my teeth after that.

I've been thinking about doing this for a few years and this forum has helped a lot!

I've heard, on here and from friends, that the spacers are the worst as well. If that's true, at least it's only for a week or 10 days!

Good luck!
Banded 22 June 2006.
Debanded 24 July 2007.
Loving it!

Dark_angel

#3 Post by Dark_angel »

Spacers are really annoying :evil: think about having a piece of meat stuck between your teeth for a week, and you cant take it out no matter how much you want to. Also they can cause some tenderness for the first few days as the teeth are beginnig to move.

Once you get the molar bands it will be a relief.

Saycheesenikki

#4 Post by Saycheesenikki »

Welcome Jeneva-

In my experience Spacers are the worst part of the procedure thus far. By the tme I got used to darn things I got my braces the next day. Piece of cake compared to the spacers. Just eat gentle & slow. Your teeth will shift a little & be tight against one another so you may not be able to floss. If you start to ache take some advil. Also they might feel "Loose" or "spongy" when you bite down but they are just getting disturbed & getting ready for the braces to move them. Theres alot of posts about spacers being the most difficult part. Good Luck & Smooth Sailing!
3/28/06 8 Spacers
4/6/06 Fully Braced(Ceramics)
7/11/06 3rd Adjustment

Don't Frown. You never know who's falling in love with your smile.

Jeneva

#5 Post by Jeneva »

ok- so i'll just look to keep my usual sunny disposition (thanks in part to aleve and advil...) and will aim for a soft diet - so much for touring the Cape cod potato chip factory that week! lol
Spacers in 17 June 2006
top braced 28 June 06
bottom spacers 6 November 06
bottom braced 16 November 06